.tmp files

Reaction score
I opened an attachment direct from email this morning and, since I knew the sender and was expecting the document, I immediately tried to save it to file. At that point, I received a message saying there was a serious disk error on file ~ Word work File S {a long alphanumeric line}.tmp.

Later in the day, I opened a Word doc from the hard drive. I was going to edit a table and when I started to insert a column I received the same message. When I clicked on OK, I received a message that said "Unrecoverable. Disk has media problem that prevents Word from using it. Try formatting another disk or save the doc. This was followed by another message: "Word failed reading for this file."

Microsoft advised saving the attachment before opening it. When I mentioned the second instance, they said it sounded like a Mac problem.

a. Is it a Word problem or a hard drive problem?
b. Would it help if I removed .tmp files?
c. Is there a quick way to remove all .tmp files/

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Start your mac from your installation disk and run Disk Utility to repair your hard drive (not a fresh installation, just run Disk Utility)

Or, you can run Disk Utility while booted normally, but it won't be able to repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.