Closed Macbook Pro display remains active when using external monitor

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 13" that I use with an external LCD monitor. When I use the external monitor I close the lid of my Macbook Pro so I only have a single large monitor. What concerns me is that even though the display of my Macbook Pro turns off when I close the lid down it still shows up as an active display in the System Preferences > Displays applet.

Within the System Preferences > Display applet if I place the smaller screen of the Macbook Pro underneath the display of the external monitor my application dock moves down to the Macbook Pro display even though it's lid is closed.

My concern is the following ....

1) Is the Macbook Pro internal display really shut off or is it just dimmed? My concern is heat and wear and tear on the internal display.

2) I like keeping my Macbook Pro internal display below my external monitor in the Display applet because that is where my Macbook Pro actually sits. I don't however like the fact that my application dock moves down to the internal display. I would like to see the application dock at the bottom of my external monitor.

I would have expected that when closing the lid of the Macbook Pro that it would no longer be listed as a display until the lid was opened again. Am I missing something here? Is this how the internal display is supposed to function when using an external monitor?

Here is my setup:

Macbook Pro 13" Early 2011 (Core i7 2.7 Ghz)
OS X Lion (10.7.4)
MiniDisplay port to DVI cable
Power adapter plugged in

Thanks for any help.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.