How to revamp the PowerMac G5

Reaction score
I am just wondering if there are ways to gut this Desktop and make it new? Maybe I'm crazy and it would take a computer science person to do this. . . but is there a tutorial somewhere or is it just tough luck, thats the way its going to be?

thanks for your help!
-jenni

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
I've seen this discussed in various places on the web and the general consensus seems to be that it would be more trouble than it's worth and it would have you spending just as much if not more money than just buying a new Mac Pro.

The G5 is Power PC based vs new Mac Pro's being Intel based so everything in the G5 would have to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if it had been possible we would all have done it to save lashing out Intel Macs alas.

Not everything would have to go. An Intel machine running Snow Leopard will run all your PowerPC applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
And if it had been possible we would all have done it to save lashing out Intel Macs alas.

Not everything would have to go. An Intel machine running Snow Leopard will run all your PowerPC applications.

That's a good point. I was thinking in line with making everything current in a G5 which would include installing Lion. Snow Leopard slipped my mind!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Neither Snow Leopard nor Lion will install on a PowerMac G5. They are Intel only and in Lion's c are Core 2 Duo only. The last OS for a G5 is Leopard OS X.5.8.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.