Brand new MacBook Pro keeps freezing, locking up. Help!

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forums and a recent PC to Mac guy. After dealing with all the blue screen issues and constant Malwares on my Windows Laptop I decided to buy a MacBook. Unfortunately it's *literally* only been a couple of days that I got it and I'm already having frustrating issues with it. I keep getting these "kernel panic" messages that lock-up my screen rendering me unable to move my mouse and forcing me to restart my laptop! And to top it off, whenever I'm browsing the internet my laptop again freezes and locks up but this time I don't get any "kernel panic" messages. After restarting I clicked the "report" button to see what happened and it said the words "panic" and "kernel" but they were separate and in different sentences. What's going on? Can somebody please tell me how to fix this? Much appreciated!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is the MBP Stock like it came from Apple or did you or someone add some RAM to it? Which MBP is it? Screen size and specs. I hope it's not the new Retina one.

OP
M
Reaction score
Is the MBP Stock like it came from Apple or did you or someone add some RAM to it? Which MBP is it? Screen size and specs. I hope it's not the new Retina one.

Hi thanks for answering. The MacBook Pro has the same stock and hasn't had any RAM added to it. Fresh out of the box. No tinkering whatsoever. Here are the full specs: MacBook Pro 13-inch, Mac OS X Version 10.7.4, Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory: 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Being that new I would take it to apple and let them look at it. Do you have an Apple Store nearby? That machine is too new to be doing that.

Reaction score
Did you transfer any files from your windows system to MBP? If you have, did you preform a virus/malware scan on the files before you moved them over? Just a few things I could think of after having moved from windows to Mac myself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Windows viruses and malware have no effect or impact on Mac OS X. Besides, you can't migrate executables from Windows to OS X as they will not run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB
If you are in your 14 day money back period i would get a refund as messing around with repairs is undue, try your luck again. my first mac ran really hot 70 degrees celsius and up just on tick sent it back ordered a new one a week later and its running sweet as.

OP
M
Reaction score
Windows viruses and malware have no effect or impact on Mac OS X. Besides, you can't migrate executables from Windows to OS X as they will not run.

Yeah I tried that and my Windows files wouldn't transfer to Mac because, as you said, Mac can't run them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.