Electric shock in Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Macbook Pro. 13 inch. 4 Gigs Ram. Core i7. 750 GB HD.
I bought a Macbook Pro recently. A 13 inch one with core i7.
Every time charge it, I get a low voltage electric shock as I touch the chassis and the shock increases when my feet is grounded. SO I called up Imagine (Apple's distributor) and the guy says it's because Apple now ships Macbooks with a charger with 2 pin plug, i.e. without and earth connection. What should I do. It's become a nuisance: I can't even place my mac on my lap while it's getting charged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB
i would send it back, for the price (to me) it is unacceptable. send it back wait a few days and order another and see if you get a electric shock. As there are many other aluminum laptops out there with + and - power chords and don't give you an electric shock.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
MacBooks chargers have never had a 3 pin power plug unless you use the cord instead of that plug that angles out from the Power Supply. I am not sure if they are supplying the power cord any longer. Older MacBooks and all powerbooks had it.

Just checked Apple Store. The Mag Safe Adapter says it ships with the power cord. That has always had 3 Pins unless they changed it recently.

bugatti1073, so should he take it back and get a Windows system? I have had that same LIGHT and I mean LIGHT shock feeling off many a PC notebook also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You should NEVER feel ANY form of an electric shock from a computer. If you're feeling a shock there is something wrong - could be something loose or something touching the shell (do you only feel it with the charger connected or anytime you use the computer regardless of whether the charger is connected? you mention not placing the laptop on your lap while it's charging so right now I'm guessing that it's only occurring with the charger connected)

Any number of things could be wrong, but you should definitely not be getting shocked from your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB
MacBooks chargers have never had a 3 pin power plug unless you use the cord instead of that plug that angles out from the Power Supply. I am not sure if they are supplying the power cord any longer. Older MacBooks and all powerbooks had it.

Just checked Apple Store. The Mag Safe Adapter says it ships with the power cord. That has always had 3 Pins unless they changed it recently.

bugatti1073, so should he take it back and get a Windows system? I have had that same LIGHT and I mean LIGHT shock feeling off many a PC notebook also.

I am no expert but you should never feel a shock,if i were him i would get a refund. A £1500 should not be giving electric shocks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's just a rough feeling and not really a shock. Seen it 1000's of times. If you have the AC Cord with that Mag Safe, see if it still has a 3 prong plug and try it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Believe me or not, each of the five Macbook Pros on display in the showroom gave a light electric shock since all of them were put on charge. They asked me to specially order a 3-pin charger from them as currently it is out of stock. And by the way, the shock is even more intense at the edges of the machine because there the potential is higher.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's just a rough feeling and not really a shock. Seen it 1000's of times. If you have the AC Cord with that Mag Safe, see if it still has a 3 prong plug and try it.

It IS a shock and I'll tell you why. It reduces immediately as I pull away my feet from the ground or the wall. Clearly, my body is acting as a conductor. I haven't checked with a voltmeter though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I have felt is a roughness when moving my finger across many of metal notebooks. It's like a shock but can't hurt you. Sort of annoying though. That 3 prong grounded charger should take care of it.

If you own a Digital meter, ground one probe and put the other where you feel that. What is the reading?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.