Just what is it with iTunes authorisation ??!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
So everything runs sweet for months and then I try to play a movie I bought from the iTunes store and iTunes says that I bought it with a different computer and asks me to put my password in to authorise it.

The message then says that the computer is already authorised and that I now have 2 out of my possible 5 authorised whereas I actually only have ONE in use.

I then access the App Store, try to download a free app, and it won't recognise my password... just says 'the device or computer could not be recognised'.

Anyone had the same or have any ideas how to fix it?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I hesitate to suggest this, but you could go to the iTunes site and deauthorize all devices, and then individually reauthorize to see if it clears whatever is hanging.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hesitate to suggest this, but you could go to the iTunes site and deauthorize all devices, and then individually reauthorize to see if it clears whatever is hanging.

Ok I'll have look.:)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, first to get the dimwit thing out of the way, I do have two devices ...my iMac and my iPhone 4 so that was an error. Both of them are authorised on my iTunes account.

The weird thing is that the App Store is prompting me to download Lion 10.7.4. I'm already on 10.7.4, because the update was either done through the software updater or Apple Support Downloads.

That said, the App Store still says that my computer isn't recognised.

With regards to reauthorising devices, I'm sure that I read somewhere that this had certain restrictions placed upon it. Can you foresee any problems before I go down this route?

Just as an aside, shouldn't my Apple TV2 be in the list of devices authorised? I have similar issues as described here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3878816?start=15&tstart=0

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never encountered any problems with the deauthorize and reauthorize steps.
As far as IOS devices (including your ATV2) they don't count against your 5 device (I believe this is still the limit) limit for authorized devices.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never encountered any problems with the deauthorize and reauthorize steps.
As far as IOS devices (including your ATV2) they don't count against your 5 device (I believe this is still the limit) limit for authorized devices.

aahhemm..cough...I deauthorised just less than 12 months ago and I have to wait until 12/7.
Meanwhile everything is still as it was above.

I just can't figure it...it just happened. I'm going to contact Apple Support/iTunes.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let us know how it turns out.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I never got through the Express lane. However, I just accessed the App Store>Purchased, clicked on the Download prompt for OS X Lion (remember I already have it installed) and here we go, it's started to download after I put my password in and didn't give me any message about not recognising my computer.

I'm confused. I have Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53) and the App Store is downloading Lion ? Also if the App Store now recognises my Mac without me doing anything I can only assume that there has been a problem there which has been corrected.

Any thoughts on what might be happening?

Screen Shot 2012-07-10 at 14.24.38.png

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just as an update.

I downloaded Lion but didn't install it , Lion is now listed as 'Downloaded' in Purchases.
Everything else is working fine now, it's a mystery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.