Can update my imac 10.5.8?

Reaction score
Can i update my imac 10.5.8?

im fairly new to mac computers:Confused:

firstly, how do you find if you computer is leopard or lion? - doesn't say in the 'about this mac'

and can i update from 10.5.8 to higher?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If you are running 10.5.8 then your OS is Leopard. (10.6.x = Snow Leopard and 10.7.x = Lion. When it comes, Mountain Lion will be 10.8.x)

Moving to an updated OS depends on the specs of your Mac which we will need to have before answering your question. This can be found via "About this Mac': Processor, Memory etc. Click on "Advanced" for more info.

I assume you acquired your Mac second-hand and my guess is that if it was upgradeable to a higher OS, this would probably have been done. So let us know the info, but don't hold your breath about an update.

Ian

Reaction score
Going from 10.5.8 to 10.8.x ML

Hey I´m running 10.5.8 as well and wanted to go to ML 10.8x Do you know if I can avoid going to Snow L --> Lion --> ML? Can I backup or carbon copy and the start fresh? I yes, can you explain how, and recommend me a backup system?

Cheers!!

The info of my mac:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.32f8
Serial Number (system): W8843L2J1AQ
Hardware UUID: 59F38B1B-C49A-54BE-82DC-C61B586C97FB

If you are running 10.5.8 then your OS is Leopard. (10.6.x = Snow Leopard and 10.7.x = Lion. When it comes, Mountain Lion will be 10.8.x)

Moving to an updated OS depends on the specs of your Mac which we will need to have before answering your question. This can be found via "About this Mac': Processor, Memory etc. Click on "Advanced" for more info.

I assume you acquired your Mac second-hand and my guess is that if it was upgradeable to a higher OS, this would probably have been done. So let us know the info, but don't hold your breath about an update.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well we will have to wait and see on the 19th. Maybe Apple will make it available via USB thumb drive as was the case with Lion. To download Lion when it was released one needed OS X.6.6/8 to enter the App Store.

Just note Lion nor Mountain Lion will not run any powerPC applications you are currently using.

Reaction score
Thanks man! I give it a longer tough and just realise my situation is even worst since I´m running a 32 bits Kernel not a 64... So I can no upgrade even to Lion :S What do you think of upgrading my current mac to a 64 bit and extra 2GB RAM vs. getting a new one?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.