Is it bad to install a SATA 3 SSD if my Mac only allows SATA 2?

Reaction score
Just to start off, I have a 15 inch macbook pro i5, 2.4GHz with the latest version of snow leopard. I have the first ever macbook to be installed with the i5 processor, mid-late 2010 I think?

I have been keeping my eye on the Crucial M4 256-512GB SSD and after reading many reviews, I think it is the right one and fits my budget. The problem is, my computer doesnt allow for 6Gbps speed and allows only 3Gbps...I think. So what I am wondering is, if I get the M4 SSD which is SATA 3, will it be bad for my computer as since it only allows SATA 2? WIll it strain the computer or damage it in any way?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Just to start off, I have a 15 inch macbook pro i5, 2.4GHz with the latest version of snow leopard. I have the first ever macbook to be installed with the i5 processor, mid-late 2010 I think?

I have been keeping my eye on the Crucial M4 256-512GB SSD and after reading many reviews, I think it is the right one and fits my budget. The problem is, my computer doesnt allow for 6Gbps speed and allows only 3Gbps...I think. So what I am wondering is, if I get the M4 SSD which is SATA 3, will it be bad for my computer as since it only allows SATA 2? WIll it strain the computer or damage it in any way?

Thanks!
sata 3 will fit your mbp without damage. i have samsung 830 series sata 3 on mid 2010 mbp no problem.

OP
A
Reaction score
So now I am stuck between the Crucial 256GB and the Samsung 830 256GB? Recommendations?

OP
A
Reaction score
It is your call, samsung supplies to apple macbook pro, price wise is pretty competitive to crucial. I have Intel ssd also, seems to be a bit slow to samsung.
samsung is on sale link here
Quick-Draw Deals: $189.99 SAMSUNG 256GB SSD, 20% OFF Select NZXT Cases & Power Supplies...

Yeah I was on Newegg and I saw that deal, went for it immediately because what people are saying is Intel > Samsung > Crucial, and I believe I paid $203 with tax for the samsung drive, its a super good deal.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah I am overly excited! UPS tracking says it is supposed to come tomorrow so I am stoked! Thanks for all your help guys!

OP
A
Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot about TRIM support and that its good for SSD's. What exactly is it and how do I do it?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
TRIM is in layman's terms a "garbage disposal" scheme. It removes invalid data from the flash "blocks" to increase the longevity of the SSD and to reduce performance degradation in the long run.

It should be enabled by default in Lion. If it isn't, try this:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/03/enable-trim-all-ssd-mac-os-x-lion/

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks!

But what if I dont want to upgrade to Lion because I like Snow Leopard better...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download the free "TRIM Enabler 2.0" from here. It works with Snow Leopard and Lion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.