installing/uninstalling apps - how?

Reaction score
hey

right, this is more an advice question than a help question

basically i was hoping that someone can give me a rough idea as to how mac os x works? how/where it installs things to, where people would advise me saving my downloads, stuff like that...

i ask this very simple question because ive just got my new G5 and im brand new to the mac os. i just wanna get a baring of how its different to windows. the reason im confused is because it seems that there are very simple folder structures for certain things, however i have still managed to install msn messenger for mac onto my desktop, at least i think i have anywho:S. im not a complete idiot...honest...i almost got my head around linux on my own lol

sorry for babbleing

hope sum1 can lend sum advice.

regards

fraser

Reaction score
Frozen said:
hey

right, this is more an advice question than a help question

basically i was hoping that someone can give me a rough idea as to how mac os x works? how/where it installs things to, where people would advise me saving my downloads, stuff like that...

i ask this very simple question because ive just got my new G5 and im brand new to the mac os. i just wanna get a baring of how its different to windows. the reason im confused is because it seems that there are very simple folder structures for certain things, however i have still managed to install msn messenger for mac onto my desktop, at least i think i have anywho:S. im not a complete idiot...honest...i almost got my head around linux on my own lol

sorry for babbleing

hope sum1 can lend sum advice.

regards

fraser

Most things are downloaded to the Mac as an image. The OS mounts the image and a removable disk becomes available on the desktop. With most applications you just drag and drop the installation into the applications folder - once it has copied over it has installed. You may then trash the image and "eject" the removable disk. Do this by dragging it to the trash. To uninstall an application find its icon and drag it to the trash. Job done.

Downloads wise, you can save them where you like I have created a download folder for this purpose if Implan on keeping the original file but usually I download it to the desktop, install it and then trahs the files.

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks very much, thats what i was beginning to get the gist of but im greatful to have had sum1 tell me that was the case... just spent 2k on this thing and dont wanna go screwing it up already lol

just have 1 thing to ask and sorry it is off topic slightly, im trying to get a messenger client working, bin using Microsoft Messenger for last day but it doesnt support webcam's...just wondering if someone can suggest a client that supports webcam and connects to the msn network. i cant afford an iSight unfortunatly plus it dont connect to msn anywho.

regards

fraser

F

franks21

Hey,
I havent used this program but i did a simple Google search for Mac Capable MSN Messenger with Webcam and it came up with this.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25617&vid=187568
It is a java based program so its not very beautiful but it will get the job done. I use Audium X and its great. I know msn clients are accepted with it but i dont think it does webcams. If you google Mac IM clients im sure you will get a lot of hits and just play around. I like it much better then PC because i can try out a program without installing it. I was the same way with my iBook but you learn to live a little bit on the wilder side with installing.

Reaction score
Yep I use Mercury for webcams if necessary. It's not bad with tabbed chat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.