Switched from windows to mac.... I am so lost

Reaction score
Hey all I have just switched over from windows I have used windows all my life since I was twelve. I have always used windows for gaming and just general everyday use. I got a mac mini 2006 from a friend for £80. I am really not used to the interface and I find things to be going a little slow. when windows slowed down I used to use disk clean up and defrag and all that. I have no idea how to do this kind of things on a mac. Could anyone tell me how?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
First thing is to check disk free space. If you let your HD get too full (generally less than 15% free space) things slow down.

Second, download Onyx (make sure you get a version compatible with your OS version). Then run maintenance with it. Alternately, you can run Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permissions. Better yet, do both.

Three you can upgrade your RAM to a maximum of 2GB. Ifixit.com has instructions and OWC is a good source for compatible RAM.

Four, you can consider upgrading to Snow Leopard, $29 USD at the Apple online store.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll give upgrading to snow leopard a go thanks!
Also was the price I paid for the mac good?

Good for you . . . And if your friend is happy, good for him.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the specs of your Mini? Click on the Apple in the top left corner and on About This Mac. Could you post the OSX version, CPU speed and Ram.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What are the specs of your Mini? Click on the Apple in the top left corner and on About This Mac. Could you post the OSX version, CPU speed and Ram.

Good call, Dennis, to double check.

I was assuming since he said a 2006 Mini that he had the Intel version, but if he actually has a 2005 model it would be PPC and wouldn't run Snow Leopard.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also it could be a Core Solo which is a lot slower machine from experience.

OP
L
Reaction score
Mac os X version 10.5.8
processor 1.83 ghz intel core 2 duo
memory 2.5 gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram

Also would I be able to run WoW?? Highly unlikely but a man can dream

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you have the late 2006 model.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that is not a bad machine. It does use Intel Integrated graphics, but I know of many who played Wow on a Mini with those basic specs as well as a Macbook with Same video chipset and as long as you don't turn things way up, it should be ok.

Here is your machine.

http://www.lowendmac.com/mini/mac-mini-aug-2007.html

Should be anyway.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can. Since you already have Leopard, the biggest thing you gain is access to the Mac APP Store. Plus, if you didn't get OS disks with your Mini I would definitely go for Snow Leopard as it is much cheaper than Leopard.

OP
L
Reaction score
Alright I will do that now. Also I have little to no space on this mac and I have no idea how to delete unwanted stuff from the person who had this before me. How do I do this

(Sorry if these are stupid questions)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright I will do that now. Also I have little to no space on this mac and I have no idea how to delete unwanted stuff from the person who had this before me. How do I do this

(Sorry if these are stupid questions)

Easiest way is to backup your stuff to an external HD (Time Machine is good to do this with) then boot off your OS disk, reformat the HD and install the OS. After that you can restore from Time Machine off your external HD.

OP
L
Reaction score
I don't really care about anything that is on here to be honest none of it is my stuff anyway. So if I was to install the os over the one that is already on here (Like with windows) will it work? Also will I have to go through **** to find drivers like with windows...? I couldn't imagine that would be a problem with mac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't really care about anything that is on here to be honest none of it is my stuff anyway. So if I was to install the os over the one that is already on here (Like with windows) will it work? Also will I have to go through **** to find drivers like with windows...? I couldn't imagine that would be a problem with mac

Installing over the existing is fine, but that doesn't get rid of the old stuff. Which is why you choose the erase/reformat from Disk Utility.

Here's how
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3910

C

chas_m

The Snow Leopard disc doesn't include apps like iPhoto and iMovie which would normally be included, but you can repurchase these if you decide to follow Razormac's advice. They cost $15 each IIRC.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Snow Leopard disc doesn't include apps like iPhoto and iMovie which would normally be included, but you can repurchase these if you decide to follow Razormac's advice. They cost $15 each IIRC.

Also, if you did happen to get the system disks with your Mac Mini, the APPs will normally be on Disk 2. You can reinstall them after setting up Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.