• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple's standalone Podcasts app for iOS is out

Reaction score
Apple's standalone Podcasts app for iOS is out

screen-shot-2012-06-26-at-1.36.44-pm.jpg
The anticipated breakup of the iOS Music app and the vast universe of podcasting content is underway, well in advance of iOS 6. Apple has released a standalone Podcasts app, combining the features of the podcasts tab in the Music app with the iTunes Store section for podcasts; it lets users stream audio or download programs for later listening and subscribe to shows on their devices.

There's a new Top Stations guide to help you find shows you like (ahem), a sleep timer to help you doze off, and social features to post favorite episodes to Twitter/Facebook/email. Syncing tools let you match up your podcasts in iTunes on your computer with your device, and you can even sync your playback position between devices to pick up where you left off.

Podcasts is on the App Store now for iOS devices running iOS 5.1 or later.

[hat tip The Next Web]

Apple's standalone Podcasts app for iOS is out originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:45:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Pleased this has arrived. Nice little app but . . . . . . . no iCloud integration . . . . maybe next time.

Reaction score
Hi, I have been having some inconvenience with the Podcasts app on my iPhone. While it is a bliss to have (compared to the Music app's support for podcasts), I am still finding it hard to keep my podcasts up to date.

What I mean is that even if I set Subscription to ON and Auto-Download to ON for a certain podcast, and I set the "Episodes to Keep" to "Last 2 Episodes", new episodes will still not get updated and automatically downloaded unless I manually open the Podcast from the app.

I am always making sure that my Data connection or if not WIfi is running and that the Podcasts app is running in the background. Is this a bug, or it is me doing something wrong?

Reaction score
Podcasts app issues

Hey there. While I agree that the new app is a convenience, and podcasts needed to be segregated from music, I have been experiencing several issues with the app in addition to those listed above.

The most noticeable is that if I have a paused podcast as the active playing file, it will automatically start playing through the iPhone speakers as soon as I disconnect from a phone call.

I've also experienced some trouble with downloading the correct podcast; two days in a row, the automatically downloaded podcast has shown the current date, but the actual file has been 3 months old. When I delete and re-download, I get the previous day's podcast with the current date, and have ended up having to stream it from the catalog. I hope these issues are resolved in subsequent releases.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.