Cant find network printers

Reaction score
Have a client running OSx Lion 10.74. Cant find the network printers by discovery or by IP. Unable to ping the printers by IP. Can see the gateway and other devices on the same subnet.

Anyone have siomialr problems or know the cause?

Reaction score
If you are unable to ping the printer you won't be able to connect to it. Is the printer accessible from other machines. Does it have a reserved IP address? Have you rebooted the printer? Sounds like it is solely an IP issue on the printer.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just a shot in the dark here but if I remember correctly some printers cannot find the network unless the driver for that printer is installed. My Canon, for example, used to require that I install the driver with it (the printer) connected via USB first.

Reaction score
Of course the driver is just the software that allows the device to communicate with the printer. If you were hooking up the printer via USB first, it will store the driver in the list, then if the printer is wi-fi or other means you already have the driver needed to communicate with the printer. The user should be able to at least ping this printer. It sounds like it isn't pulling an ip address. Maybe the user can inform us if the printer has data-link lights flashing on the printer itself. Don't rely on an ip address that someone said it is, make sure you have printed a configuration page first to verify its IP address.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.