No sound on PowerPoint shows

Reaction score
There's plenty on this topic on various forums but it's mostly a few years old, and no real, free solution seemed to have been identified? On my iMac with Lion and the latest version of OpenOffice installed, I can view PowerPoint shows (.pps files) in either Preview or OpenOffice but I can get no sound. Sound is embedded in the files and plays OK on a Windows XP laptop - there is no problem with the files. Has anyone found a solution to this problem that doesn't involve buying Office for Mac or iWorks?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why don't you download a trial version of MS Office 2011 for the Mac from Microsoft and see if your Powerpoint files work OK. Also, the iWork version (Keynote) is only $19.99 from the App store.

Open Office and LibreOffice both do not work well to reproduce the sound and transitions from Powerpoint. Keynote should work a lot better, however, there are some things from Powerpoint that will not work as well in Keynote either.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for those suggestions CHSCAG. I thought that, before I spent money contributing to MS's profits, I would make doubly sure that none of the program's currently on my iMac would produce sound from .pps files. I tried OpenOffice again and found a small button for playing the slideshow. To my surprise and pleasure, it played the file perfectly with the right sound. Must have a beer with all the money I have saved!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.