Only sync some IMAP folders in Mail.app?

Reaction score
Is this possible? I use Google Apps and have for 3 years so now I'm using Mail.app. The problem is my All Mail folder, Sent folder etc all have literally thousands of emails in them so it seems so slow to have Mail.app download 3GB of email. Is there a way to set it to only sync some folders? Or if not, have it not download some folders but just keep them online, such as the All Mail folder or Sent folder so that it only accesses them when I need it to?

Or I guess I should ask how does Mail.app handle that anyway? When using Google Apps what does it do if your mailbox is 3-5Gb with 3+ years worth of email? Does it actually download them all to the computer or only some etc? I'm not sure if there's any way around that as even if I tell it not to sync certain folders the mail would still be in the All Mail folder I assume. I don't want to remove the mail from Gmail though since it's nice to be able to do instant search and find mail that's years old?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.