iTunes and External Harddrives

Reaction score
:Confused:

Good afternoon all,

I am wanting to put my iTunes library across a few external hard drives..
1 - Music
2 - Films
3 - TV Shows

Does anyone know how? The easiest way? A step by step guide etc???

My DVD & TV Series collection is getting large now - converting DVDs etc and I am quickly running out of space. I generally have the first copy I make on one drive and then duplicate that onto another drive (just in case).

I have looked into getting a NAS device, storage devices via USB etc etc and have now got a headache from looking at this for soooooo long lol.

TIA

jman2k

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Welcome to the forums.

It's pretty straightforward so long as you do things the way iTunes wants :)

Read, inwardly digest then follow these instructions:
iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder

Don't skim or skip anything and stop if there's anything you don't understand or doesn't match the instructions.

POst back with your results, good or bad!

OP
J
Reaction score
iTunes and External Hardddrives

Hello there and thanks for the prompt reply,

I had looked into this link before however when I read this it made reference to moving iTunes to 1 drive. I am wanting to split my iTunes across 3 different drives...

If I am able to do this then I will never run out of space :)

Regards

jman2k

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sorry missed that bit.....

Not sure about 'never' . . . . How big is your library?

My instinct would be to go for a 2tb drive. If that's not big enough then a multiple bay RAID external or (albeit quite pricey) a drobo, you can put multiple disks in there and hot swap to larger capacities as time goes on, yet your Mac will just see it as one big chunk of storage.

If, however you did want to split your library you'd need to select one disk to house the 'main' library. Regardless of what happens any content you buy from itunes (music, tv, movies, apps etc) will go into this 'main' library.

It's still possible to split the content you add manually but will require more management on your behalf.

To do it you'd have to stop iTunes moving new content into the media folder and stop it organsing for you. Then you connect all you externals with the files in the folder structure of your choosing then drag them/ add them via the menus into iTunes.
This way iTunes just keeps pointers to where the content is and doesn't move it.

Every time you add something new to the folder structure on an external you will need to add that manually.

This all works fine as long as you keep on top of it. But if you start to forget what's been added and what hasn't or you buy huge volumes of stuff from iTunes you're going to end up in a mess.

The bottom line is that a) it's possible b) the best solution is a single, unified hunk of strage as the library is designed to be in one place.

Reaction score
Is there an app that can assist in managing the movement of media to an external HD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.