Access privileges denied to my own external hard drive.

Reaction score
I recently installed a new hard drive into a MacBook Pro. I then transferred the data from a smaller Mac Mini hard drive to the new hard drive. My Time Machine backups and my iTunes library location are on an external drive (The same external drive). When syncing my iPhone to the Time Machine backups external drive, I often, but not always, receive the following error: "Attempting to copy to the disk "Time Machine backups" failed. You do not have enough access privileges for this operation." I'm running OS 10.7.4. How can I fix this? Thank you.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Control click on the files and 'Get Info '. In the lower left corner of the window is the Access and Permissions. Click on the lock to enable changes.

OP
M
Reaction score
Denied access

Control click on the files and 'Get Info '. In the lower left corner of the window is the Access and Permissions. Click on the lock to enable changes.

Oh, thank you for that little tidbit. I didn't know about that one. I'm still having trouble syncing voice memos from the iPhone to iTunes, getting the same error. Before each attempt to sync, I trim the memo a sec or two, to make it look like a new memo, and that does make itunes attempt to sync the memo to it's library, but I still get the same error as before. I was able to adjust Access and Permissions for the hard drive itself, but that didn't fix it. I know you said control click the file, but the file is still on the phone. What do you suggest?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I suspect the permissions on some of your iTunes folders/files are still messed up or the files potentially locked. You may try going on an expedition looking for the culprit.
Another thing to try is a shareware program called Unlockr, which is drag and drop. You literally drag the files/folders onto the Unlockr Icon and it does its work.

Last, and maybe the best, is I remember a post by TattooedMac from a year or so ago where he ran into problems like this specific to iTunes and I believe it was a plist file issue (though I may be remembering wrong). I'll try to find it and if I do will post a link. Otherwise do a thread search for it.

EDIT: Found the post. Not sure if it will help, but give it a read.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...-permissions-itunes-dl-store.html#post1305332

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.