Great Tip to save Powerbook battery life!

Reaction score
Doing this trick will give you an extra 20-30 minutes of battery life on your powerbook. Hold down Control/Option/Command and then press 8. It inverts your screen. It also makes it easier to read in direct sunlight. To switch it back, just hit the shortcut again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Mactheknife said:
Doing this trick will give you an extra 20-30 minutes of battery life on your powerbook. Hold down Control/Option/Command and then press 8. It inverts your screen. It also makes it easier to read in direct sunlight. To switch it back, just hit the shortcut again.

how does that save battery life? the backlight is still on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I think because more of it is dark than light.. so not as many pixels have to be on in such full force.. I've seen this tip a couple of times and everybody swears it works.. I haven't tested it, but theoretically it should definitely work. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, I have tested it and does in fact work. I gained about 35 extra minutes of battery life using this method. What you said above Murlyn seems to be why. Not nearly as many pixels have to be at full strength which increases the battery power.

M

menace3054

lol, im going to do this to my girlfriends pb when she gets home, shell freak

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Hrm, that's a great idea come to think of it. Thank ya! But I have more of a problem seeing my screen in sunlight, so it's a win win.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
does anyone know any other stuff like inverting the screen on the Powerbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Aside from battery life, that tip is just plain fun. I went through my iPhoto library with it. It makes all of my pictures look like they're CG or something. I love it.

T

thoughtCoat

Awesome! Works on my Mini as well. This is a cool trick, thanks for sharing it.

D

DigitalN.

or for some more fun, go into the system preferences, have this on, hit greyscale, and crank the contrast ;)

Reaction score
That is a great tip, heres a better one lol Bring your adapter and surge protector and plug it in. Trains I go on have plugs..

J

jenn

Excellent. Is there any list of all these secret command strokes? I love em!! :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Nice! Can't wait to do this, throw on some Hendrix and then smoke some- err... ya, play some Hendrix and watch this...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.