2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
750GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
Built-in battery (7 hours)2
hi rest AG

my plan was to down the road update the hdd to a SDD.

I just got my mbp after waiting for it to be customized.

I was just informed by apple if I upgrade my ram or install a hard drive it will VOID the WARRANTY.

the whole reason i went with the NON RETINA was i could upgrade and so i can but not without voiding my warranty. i spend over 2300 I would rather not void warranty.

any suggestions?

OP
S
Reaction score
I guess so. Will cost me extra $400 with apple. ($200 through crucial etc) I was told by people on this forum I could just install the SSD no one explained it will void my warranty! My bad for not checking with apple first :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was just informed by apple if I upgrade my ram or install a hard drive it will VOID the WARRANTY.

Would you please tell us who at Apple told you that? I question this because it has not been Apple's policy to void the warranty when user upgradeable items are involved. Of course if you screw something up when doing the upgrade that means you pay for the repairs.

OP
S
Reaction score
Would you please tell us who at Apple told you that? I question this because it has not been Apple's policy to void the warranty when user upgradeable items are involved. Of course if you screw something up when doing the upgrade that means you pay for the repairs.

I called apple 800 number. Called 2 apple stores. If this isn't the case I'd be so happy. However 3 apple guys told me it voids warranty and they can upgrade ram but not upgrade hard drives.

P.S will SSD make huge diff for me? Doing like photography some gaming?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Someone is not giving out correct information, either that or they're misunderstanding which Mac you have. I fully agree that if you were referring to the new MacBook Air or MacBook Pro Retina, then you could not be expected to upgrade either the memory (soldered in) or the flash hard drive (proprietary). Doing either one would definitely void your warranty.

However, if you have a standard MacBook Pro, the hard drive and memory are easy user upgrades and have been since around 2008. Replacing either one yourself should not void your warranty.

Reaction score
Someone is not giving out correct information, either that or they're misunderstanding which Mac you have. I fully agree that if you were referring to the new MacBook Air or MacBook Pro Retina, then you could not be expected to upgrade either the memory (soldered in) or the flash hard drive (proprietary). Doing either one would definitely void your warranty.

However, if you have a standard MacBook Pro, the hard drive and memory are easy user upgrades and have been since around 2008. Replacing either one yourself should not void your warranty.

Did that policy change for the normal MBP when the retina came out?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did that policy change for the normal MBP when the retina came out?

Note that Apple can change their policy any time they wish. However, I haven't heard anything about them having a new policy toward DIY upgrades such as memory and hard drives.

If they have made a change to the way they honor their warranty, I would like to see it in writing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
From what I have observed if it doesn't void the warranty they usually have the step by step guide in the User Manual one how to replace the HD or RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
Not sure about the warranty rules. Could you not keep the old memory and HD and swap them back in if needed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
The ram and hdd on non retina mbp should be upgraded, period.
With your 14 day return policy, take your mbp to an apple store
and ask them right on the spot, if you cannot diy on ram and hd,
return it as simple as that.
V6Pony and mcyukon I agreed with your observation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
I don't know who at Apple told you this, but they are wrong. I used to work tech support and executive relations at Apple so I am familiar with consumer protection laws. An exception would be if the RAM is faulty and overheats the logic board: that is not a factory defect and would not be covered. Of course, as mentioned above, if you break something while fiddling with the insides of your computer you are on your own. However, adding RAM and changing the hard drive is simple in the non-Retina MBPs so you would have to be pretty clumsy to break anything.

Warranty - English

If you are still worried after reading the warranty ask Apple's legal department:

Apple - Legal - Contact

Laws vary from state to state, but generally replacing the RAM and/or HD will not void your warranty under consumer protection laws.

OP
S
Reaction score

I took it back and replaced it for a mbp 15 retina on the spot. I'm very happy so far with it. I was a little unsure before.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you ask them about upgrading the Non Retina? I see nothing that says you can not.

OP
S
Reaction score

I took it back and replaced it for a mbp 15 retina on the spot. I'm very happy so far with it. I was a little unsure before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.