Transform G5 into a NAS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I'm looking into either purchasing or building a NAS as a backup for my media center, and i was looking at the Lacie 5Big, as well as transforming my G5 tower into a storage server. Now the drives need to be seen at all times by my Windows media center, which, right now with my home network, the Windows and Macs have a difficult time seeing each other over the network for some stupid reason. They do see each other when i don't need them, but when i do, they don't work. In any case, I would like to set one up, for remote access outside of my network as well. I was looking at the Sonnet G5 Jive to add 3 more drives to the unit, but i don't know what i would use to run the server, should i use OSX server, or FreeNAS, or something else? Any advice or opinions? Thanks

Reaction score
If I were you I wouldn't use the G5 as a media server for a couple reasons:
1. The G5 uses quite a bit of power
2. Of all PowerPC mac's it holds the fewest drives.

I'd sell the G5 and find a nice G4 pack the drives in and go to town..or I'd build something cheap put and put Linux in it.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
If I were you I wouldn't use the G5 as a media server for a couple reasons:
1. The G5 uses quite a bit of power
2. Of all PowerPC mac's it holds the fewest drives.

I'd sell the G5 and find a nice G4 pack the drives in and go to town..or I'd build something cheap put and put Linux in it.

I actually wasn't going to use it as a media server since i have a Dell Precision tower for that, i was thinking about using it as a storage server, but yea, it does take a lot of power, which is probably the reason why i'll invest in a NAS and hope i can turn RAID off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.