Apple Care and batteries?

Reaction score
Could anyone advise how Apple handles aging batteries when still under Apple Care coverage? Does the battery have to literally fail or have next to zero capacity left in order to get a replacement, or could you essentially walk into an Apple Store just prior to your 3-year coverage ending and ask for a replacement, even if it still has 25-50% of its capacity left?

I'm trying to make a buying decision between the Retina and classic model, and because the Retina has it glued down, the battery situation is an important element for me, personally.

If I could get a "free" battery replacement on the Retina before the three years is up and then have a good 5-6 years (between the two) of battery life, that would be a selling point, but if not, the ability to replace it myself in the classic seems the better way to go.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both the Retina and the classic MacBook Pro have user non replaceable batteries. Because of the thinness of the Retina, the battery is glued down. The classic MBP battery is held in place with special screws. I don't know about the Retina but the battery on the classic MBP is supposed to be able to go 1000 charge - recharge cycles.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Laptop batteries are considered a "consumable" item. Therefore they are not covered under the Applecare warranty. Only if the battery can be shown to have a manufacturing defect will Apple replace the battery.

Sometimes there are "gray-areas"...so if the battery seems to be failing well before the 1000 cycle estimated lifespan...then Apple may replace it (this is usually a judgement call).

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Laptop batteries are considered a "consumable" item. Therefore they are not covered under the Applecare warranty. Only if the battery can be shown to have a manufacturing defect will Apple replace the battery.

Sometimes there are "gray-areas"...so if the battery seems to be failing well before the 1000 cycle estimated lifespan...then Apple may replace it (this is usually a judgement call).

HTH,

- Nick

Yep, although I have had several batteries replaced under applecare, without issue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yep, although I have had several batteries replaced under applecare, without issue.

I had one replaced as well!:) That's why I mentioned the "gray-area".;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.