aptv3 and imovies 11

Reaction score
atv3 and imovies 11

I'm interested in getting an atv3 but I have a question about whether or not I can view videos from imovie on atv3. I read on Apple's website that it appears that you can view videos from your iMac on the atv3 but in reading the manual, it doesn't specifically mention how to do this. I know there's airplay which allows you to view content from your ios devices through aptv onto your tv screen. It seems that Home Sharing is what I found about streaming photos but it didn't have too much information on that either.

My question is, do I have to have my home movies imported into itunes in order for me to be able to view my home videos that are stored on my iMac through atv3 then on my tv? If not, has anybody successfully viewed their home movies imported through iMovie 11 through atv3 onto their tv? If you have, can you breakdown the set up? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
They'll need to be in iTunes, then you can access them under 'Computers' via HomeSharing on the AppleTV

OP
H
Reaction score
They'll need to be in iTunes, then you can access them under 'Computers' via HomeSharing on the AppleTV

Does that mean that I need to "share" or export the movie file to iMovie and then atv3 will be able to stream it via homeshare? Do I need to worry about what file format it saves the movie in iTunes or is that taken care of automatically when I "share" or export the movie to iTunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It'll automatically get converted to mp4 when you export to iTunes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.