dvd burning software

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Keep in mind that you can not copy a DVD that is DRM protected, in other words copyrighted material. It is against the law to circumvent copy protection in the US. With that said.....

There are several free applications that will copy a DVD:

Simply Burns

Burn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Disk Utility.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Applications, Utilities, "Disk Utility.app".

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes if you click the links for the first two you will be taken to the relevant pages. Disk Utility is software that is already installed in the Utilities folder of your Mac.

OP
M
Reaction score
dvd software

i forgot to mention i have lion do you know if these will work with this os

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, all three that were mentioned above will work with Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I use Burn app (free) and RipIt app.

C

chas_m

Wondershare, Xilisoft = chinese spammers. I would avoid doing business with those firms if I were you.

Reaction score
OK, I'll answer the question everyone has avoided due to "sensibilities"

In 10.4 - 10.6 I recommend Mac The Ripper, it'll remove DRM, and region codes and give you a video TS file, you can convert to whatever format you need it's great for backing up DVD's you OWN..

If you're in 10.7 I like and use Mac DVD Ripper Pro it doesn't cost much and does what MTR used to do..

For burning if you're allergic to paying for stuff brasero is good, it's open source and does the job. I use Roxio Toast great stuff costs a benjamin or so but is great!

Remember it's a sorta grey area to back up DVD's you OWN, it's illegal to do anything with DVD's you DON'T OWN. The MPAA needs all the money it can get, remember the cost of living in California is really high.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Remember it's a sorta grey area to back up DVD's you OWN, it's illegal to do anything with DVD's you DON'T OWN. The MPAA needs all the money it can get, remember the cost of living in California is really high.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I'm under the impression that this is not a gray area but settled case law -- at least for US residents anyway. My understanding is that even creating backups of discs you own is not permitted unless the copyright holder chooses to allow it. The presence of copy protection is generally taken as an indication that the copyright holder does not want to allow backup copies. Personally I don't like that and think you should have the right to backup legally purchased discs but I didn't make the law.

C

chas_m

I would ask the moderators not to be too hard on Germany_Chris, as he may be from Germany where they don't have the draconian US law and thus may be unfamiliar with it.

I'm well aware of the US law (having lived there previously) and how different things are outside the US (and that this site conforms strictly to US law on this matter) but not everyone is that worldly and/or has a difficult time believing the US actually has a law that makes it illegal for you to copy or back up a disc you paid for, even for benign/sensible reasons.

It's an overreaching law IMO but I don't see where the site (which is US based) really has any choice other than to conform to the law and limit its exposure to any liability and thus it forbids discussion of how to circumvent DRM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.