2009 White Macbook 13"repair advice

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Macbook, 13" with operation issues. The speakers are a tinny sound, the microphone jack does not work and the @ key will only type 2 when you shift. Brought it to Apple sand they immediately concluded some liquid must have spilled into it and the crunchy sound when some keys are tapped is sugar. Sounds like they are speculating it might need a new circuit board. :( Any suggestions where I can go to have it fixed other than Apple at reasonable price? I live on Long Island and could go to New York City if necessary.
Thanks,
randilynn

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
From your description, it sounds like some someone spilled soda or other sugary drink on the computer. I'm actually surprised it's working at all.

Replacement logic boards are not cheap...even used ones...and a 2009 MacBook is really only worth about $400 bucks...and that's about what a new logic board will cost (more if you need someone to do the installation).

You might be able to find a good used logic board on e-Bay...but even these may cost you $200-$300+ (more if you need to pay someone to do the install).

So the big question is...is it worth spending $200-$400 (or more)...on a computer that's only worth $400. Usually the answer is no...and also consider that more than the logic board may be damaged (the speakers, the CD/DVD drive, the ram, etc.).

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm sure there must be dozens of places in NYC where you can have it repaired but I'm betting it'll probably be less expensive if you ship it to a repair service.

Try the folks at IResQ. Go to the web site and jot down their 800 number and give them a call and ask.

OP
R
Reaction score
2009 White Macbook 13" repair advice

Thanks for the advice. Certainly not worth spending $400. Apple said it could cost $800 to fix. I wonder if it is sand or dirt as there is no residue or evidence of a liquid spill and the computer was used in a windy environment outdoors at times. I will check IRESQ but also thinking of just having it blown out and cleaned. Can that remove the sand if that is what it is?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.