HELP! Safari can't connet to the server.

H

Havenger

I can see my LAN just fine. Connect to other computers, print, et. But I cannot connect to the internet in any way. I've tried 2 operating systems, three browsers and evey diagnostic and setup helper I have. Any ideas?

I'v tried the following.

1. 2 different systems - Erased and install new system 10.3 and then 10.4
2. 2 different cables.
3. 2 different ports in my building.
4. 4 browsers - Safari 2.0, 2.02, IE, Netscape
5. Network Diagnostic application says my internet is working properly
6. I've matched every setting to another similar computer I have and it connects fine.

Did apple make a non-internet-connecting model I'm not aware of?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
use /Applications/Network Utility to ping something external like you isp's dns servers. if you can't i'd guess your gateway is not properly configured, if you can ping them try to ping a url like www.google.com if you can't then i'd guess your dns is not properly configured. All browsers use the settings in the Network Sys Pref. Try rebooting your router and modem if all is configued correctly.

OP
H

Havenger

No DNS

All are computers are set up using the DHCP setting. This automatically puts in IP, Subnet and Router but the DNS servers field is empty. How do I then properly configure my DNS? I tried to PING www.google.com like you mentioned and it failed. Im on the internet in the same room typing this, so could it really be our router? I'm so frustrated :( I've never had this sort of trouble before. Thanks for you help.

MacsWork said:
use /Applications/Network Utility to ping something external like you isp's dns servers. if you can't i'd guess your gateway is not properly configured, if you can ping them try to ping a url like www.google.com if you can't then i'd guess your dns is not properly configured. All browsers use the settings in the Network Sys Pref. Try rebooting your router and modem if all is configued correctly.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Which Mac is this? What IP is the router giving your Mac? What is the IP address under networking?

OP
H

Havenger

1. PowerPC G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

2. 192.168.1.46

3. I assume you mean the Network Utility. 144.3.8.0

dtravis7 said:
Which Mac is this? What IP is the router giving your Mac? What is the IP address under networking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Your DNS settings should be in your router config.

If you can ping 66.102.7.147 (google) you are getting to the internet. If you can't then your internet connection is wonky. Call your ISP.

DSL? Cable? Try going from modem to mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.