VGA to Thunderbolt adapter to make my iMac an external monitor??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I want to use my iMac as an external monitor for my work computer, but the iMac only has Thunderbolt ports. I was told that 2011 and later iMacs can only be used as an external monitor for computers with TB ports (ie:eek:ther macs for now) Is there an adapter, either from VGA to TB, or VGA to USB, that would allow me to do this?

Thanks for the help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I believe that I heard somewhere that the "mini-display port" adapters are compatible with the thunderbolt port.

What you need to know about Thunderbolt | Macworld
Confusing Mini DisplayPort with Thunderbolt | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

So you would need a mini-display port adapter to VGA adapter...with the mini-display port end plugged into the iMac's Thunderbolt port.

Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. I have to admit though. When someone mentions "VGA" (especially VGA and Thunderbolt) I always worry about compatibility. It's been a long long time since Apple used anything VGA related. I say buy the adapter...if it works great...if not...immediately return it.:)

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of trying that myself, but didn't want to sink the money into an adapter without knowing for sure first. It seems like if the fix was that easy, nobody would complain so much about the change from 2010 to 2011 iMacs regarding Target Display Mode.

Maybe I'll see if a local store carries them in case I need to return it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.