External Drive Vs. Internal Drive + Caddy

Reaction score
My macbook is starting to get old and I've never backed up with Time Machine so I'm thinking of getting an external drive to back up with. But I'm also considering replacing my internal drive with an SSD drive to increase the speed slightly.

So what I want to know is can I buy an SSD drive and caddy to act as an external drive to back up with using time machine, then swap the internal drives, place the old internal drive into the caddy and use that as a normal external drive to back up with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You can. There is no difference between them technically. That said, SSD is a huge waste as an external (unless you're using thunderbolt or esata) so I wouldn't waste my money on one for that use. It won't matter how fast the drive is, USB is slower as is firewire.

OP
C
Reaction score
Once I figure it all out and am confident it'd work, I'd use the SSD drive as my internal drive in the laptop then the old internal drive in the caddy as an external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Confident what will work?

OP
C
Reaction score
Replacing the current internal drive with an SSD drive will make it some what better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Replacing the current internal drive with an SSD drive will make it some what better.

It'll dramatically improve boot and application launch times. However, an SSD in an external is not going to show any improvement over a rotational drive in an external.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.