losing internet connection

Reaction score
whenever I want to start my desktop and laptop, there is no internet connection. I have to click on the internet icon on top right to connect to internet. Even if the computer stays idle for sometime, it loses the connection. It started after we changed our DSL modem from one outlet to two outlets. It is through qwest, that now is sold to a different company.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Going to need some more information from you please.

Which Mac models do you have, which version of OSX are you running?

As you have at least two devices I'm guessing you have a router not just a modem. If so how do you connect to it? Wirelessly or by ethernet cable?

Can you expand on what you mean by "we changed our DSL modem from one outlet to two outlets."

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your response. Models are iMac A1311 and Mac pro, I think MC 516xx/A. The systems on both are 10.7.4. You are right, I was not thinking, we have router. There are three terminals, a Dell is connected through cable and both Macs wirelessly. Previously we had an older model of router with one outlet for ethernet. We had an upgrade through Directv which gave us a free on demand movie. To have that we had to change the router so it would have at least two ethernet outlets, one for Dell and one for Directv. I hope this would answer your questions.
Thanks again,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It sounds as though the router is power saving or similar. Possibly interference.

What's it's make and model?

If you're happy logging into the router I'd suggest the wifi channel.

Use iStumbler on one of your Macs. This will show all the wireless networks in range and which channels they are using. Look for a channel that isn't used, is furthest away from others, or has the least overlap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.