iOS6 API for development

Reaction score
I am new to the iOS developer program and I am in the process of learning Xcode and objective-c programming. When I say I am new, I mean I have never written a single line of code before and am trying to teach myself how to get started. First any helpful resources that anyone may know of will be very much appreciated.

Second, I registered for the Apple Developer program (free) and downloaded Xcode. The latest version of iOS that I can see in Xcode is iOS 5. Do I need to pay the $100 for the iOS 6 support and all the iOS 6 API's? I am trying to create a very basic app but I do want to include a few of the new iOS6 API's that were announced at WWDC.

Thanks for any help ya'll can offer me.

OP
N
Reaction score
As far as development tools in Xcode, is there a difference in the Xcode software, other than the API's and support for iOS6, that would make app development any easier?

C

chas_m

Apple is constantly improving Xcode. The current developer version is 4.4 DP4. If you intend to develop an app using iOS 6 APIs in the near future, you have little option other than to get the most recent version of the pre-release software and Xcode.

You could of course wait until Xcode 4.4 goes final, which one might guess is likely to happen sometime around the time iOS 6 comes out, and each would then become the default. For a serious developer, $100 doesn't seem like a lot (to me) to pay to be able to work well ahead of the release, but only you can make that judgement call.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.