no backlight

Reaction score
hi ,i have a 13 inch macbook,has no backlight.ive tried 2 new screens and a new lvds cable..and still no luck..am new here and would love any advice..:Mischievous:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't say what year and model MacBook you have. If your MacBook uses an inverter, did you change that? If the backlight is lighted by LEDs, it won't have an inverter.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After replacing the screen twice and the LVDS cable, there's not much left is there? Is your MacBook able to output video to an external monitor or TV? If not, you may be looking at a bad logic board.

OP
E
Reaction score
also the backlight would work but then went out wen i took it apart the tvds was bad.had big brown spot on it like wires touched that were not spose to..and im not sure if it came with lighted keyboard. but when i go to preferences it does not give me a option 4 backlight.if i do have 1 it doesnt work. not sure of history of comp.as i got from a storage locker i bid on.hope that helps..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know what to tell you at this point. If it outputs video to an external monitor, that tells us the GPU and logic board are OK. Did you check all the wiring and cables that snake their way up from the logic board through the hinge area up into the display?

OP
E
Reaction score
there is just 1,besides the lvds.and there on opposit sides..hmmm yeah stumps me too.

OP
E
Reaction score
i have taken logic board out.2 check the resistance in what every1 is calling a 2 amp fuse.not sure if in fact is a fuse.but in 0402 .so is small.then if bad will order new 1 and we will c .as this is part of backlight circuit..

OP
E
Reaction score
Problem solved, went ahead and replaced the fuse and all is good now. so turns out was a bad fuse on the logic board, fairly simple to change if u just take ur time and get some 3.5 magnification granny glasses and ur in there like swim wear. But thanks for all your help greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, thanks for posting back and letting us know. The fuse is a new one on me as we always seem to be directed toward the more common problems mentioned above. I'll put that one in my memory book. :) Have fun.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.