Macbook pro: Timemachine HDD -> SSD

Reaction score
Hello Friends!

I'm currently thinking of switching my old HDD from my late summer 2007 Macbook Pro to a Solid State Disc.
But i have a few question i hope any of you could have answer for.

1) I've been told i can take a time machine backup of my current harddisc. Then switch it out with the SSD,
afterwards boot up to make recover thru the backup i did of my HDD. (I'm aware of the problems going from HDD to SSD)

I assume i have to install a OS system before recovering the backup from the HDD??

2) I'm a big music fan and have a large library which is located on a external harddrive - where the library is set to
be on the external harddrive / all tho i can still open it without the external harddrive plugged in.

So my question for this, is: Can i have do the time machine backup of my HDD - recover it on the SSD with the itunes perfectly be in match?
I don't think the external would be a new location and the paths should be fine too i think. But am i overseeing something ?
better yet if anybody could confirm they have done it this way and got it to work would make me happy!

Information about the two things:

Macbook Pro

Model Family: MacBook Pro
Processor: 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo (T7500)
Manufacturer: Intel
# of CPUs: 1
Codename: Merom
Display:
Size: 15.4"
Finish: Glossy
Resolution: 1440x900
Backlight: LED-Backlit
Base Memory: 2GB PC2-5300 SODIMM
Brand: Apple
Wireless: 802.11a/b/g/n
Color(s): Aluminum
Original OS: Mac OS X 10.4.9
Battery: 60-watt-hour removable lithium-polymer
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (128MB)
Base Storage: 120GB 5400RPM SATA 2.5"
Optical Drive: 8x DL Superdrive

SDD

Intel

Model: SSDSA2M080G2GC 2,5" - 3 Gb/s SATA SSD 80G 5V 1A

Hope anybody can help me a bit out with these. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards
Matthew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
make sure your ssd drive can be used in macbook pro, mbp can handle ssd after 2007 ? google for the answer. if okay what you have to do is get hold of an enclosure using ssd as external drive and using carbon copy clone from web site, then install ssd as internal drive.
then install osx should work.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello Friends!

I'm currently thinking of switching my old HDD from my late summer 2007 Macbook Pro to a Solid State Disc.
But i have a few question i hope any of you could have answer for.

1) I've been told i can take a time machine backup of my current harddisc. Then switch it out with the SSD,
afterwards boot up to make recover thru the backup i did of my HDD. (I'm aware of the problems going from HDD to SSD)

I assume i have to install a OS system before recovering the backup from the HDD??

That's right. You'll do a clean install of the OS, then when prompted, restore the data from Time Machine.

2) I'm a big music fan and have a large library which is located on a external harddrive - where the library is set to
be on the external harddrive / all tho i can still open it without the external harddrive plugged in.

So my question for this, is: Can i have do the time machine backup of my HDD - recover it on the SSD with the itunes perfectly be in match?
I don't think the external would be a new location and the paths should be fine too i think. But am i overseeing something ?
better yet if anybody could confirm they have done it this way and got it to work would make me happy!

I'm really confused about your question here. If your iTunes library is on an external hard drive now, then when you finish, it should operate in the same manner.

If you're planning on putting it on an external later, then that's possible too, but you would worry about that if you're all done - and of course, if the drive is disconnected and you try to open iTunes, it will error out trying to connect to your library.

Maybe I missed your point there - if I didn't answer your question, perhaps you can restate it?

SDD

Intel

Model: SSDSA2M080G2GC 2,5" - 3 Gb/s SATA SSD 80G 5V 1A

Did you buy this yet? If not, you might want to have a look at this:

http://amzn.com/B004W2JL2A

I bought this drive in December of last year for nearly $375 (256GB). It is incredibly fast and has been rock solid reliable. Since then, I have watched this drive drift down below $200 on occasion (it's just a bit above right now). I am seriously considering purchasing a second for my desktop PC, because at that price, it's an absolute steal.

I realize you're looking at an 80GB probably because of the price, however, the Intel brand always commands a certain premium. So, I just wanted you to be aware of one alternate that is a bit more capacious and still very cost effective. 80GB doesn't give OS X a lot of elbow room - and it always needs 15-20% free space in order for the OS to run efficiently.

Hope anybody can help me a bit out with these. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards
Matthew

Hope that helps and good luck!!

OP
A
Reaction score
That's right. You'll do a clean install of the OS, then when prompted, restore the data from Time Machine.

I'm really confused about your question here. If your iTunes library is on an external hard drive now, then when you finish, it should operate in the same manner.

If you're planning on putting it on an external later, then that's possible too, but you would worry about that if you're all done - and of course, if the drive is disconnected and you try to open iTunes, it will error out trying to connect to your library.

Maybe I missed your point there - if I didn't answer your question, perhaps you can restate it?

Did you buy this yet? If not, you might want to have a look at this:

http://amzn.com/B004W2JL2A

I bought this drive in December of last year for nearly $375 (256GB). It is incredibly fast and has been rock solid reliable. Since then, I have watched this drive drift down below $200 on occasion (it's just a bit above right now). I am seriously considering purchasing a second for my desktop PC, because at that price, it's an absolute steal.

I realize you're looking at an 80GB probably because of the price, however, the Intel brand always commands a certain premium. So, I just wanted you to be aware of one alternate that is a bit more capacious and still very cost effective. 80GB doesn't give OS X a lot of elbow room - and it always needs 15-20% free space in order for the OS to run efficiently.

Hope that helps and good luck!!

May i start by saying thanks a lot fot the fast respond & answers!
I really appreciate that kind of help.

To my 2) question.

This is by far the most important for me. I'll try and explain it again.

I have a library containing 2 TB music. All of my music is on my external harddrive.

What i'm most afraid of is. By copying my HDD to my new SSD the paths my current itunes have will change or something will go wrong in the process.

Mostly afraid course i havn't tried recovering from a TimeMachine backup before. So i don't know how iTunes reaction to this.

If anybody have any knowledge about this - i would be so glad to hear about it!

3)

I did my this as it was almost given free to me. If i didn't have it in my hands that offer seems unbelievable good! thanks for the link

Thanks again for the fast answer and respond!

Best Regards
Matthew

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
May i start by saying thanks a lot fot the fast respond & answers!
I really appreciate that kind of help.

To my 2) question.

This is by far the most important for me. I'll try and explain it again.

I have a library containing 2 TB music. All of my music is on my external harddrive.

What i'm most afraid of is. By copying my HDD to my new SSD the paths my current itunes have will change or something will go wrong in the process.

Mostly afraid course i havn't tried recovering from a TimeMachine backup before. So i don't know how iTunes reaction to this.

OK, I understand fully now. Yes, the paths will remain the same. It will be restored exactly as it was.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.