Making an encrypted sparse image in SL - minimum size 10MB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1 Dual Quadcore 2.8GHz 12GB Snow Leopard / G4 PowerMac (AGP/Sawtooth), 1.4GHz 2GB Leopard
I am in the habit of keeping bits of sensitive info (online shopping login details, for example) in the form of a small .txt file locked in an encrypted sparse image. I create a separate image for each one.

When I was running Leopard on my G4, I would set the nominal size of the sparse image to the smallest available option (2.5MB) - oodles of space for containing a little text file that's actually just a few kilobytes.

I'm now running SL on a Mac Pro 3,1
This morning, I've just tried to create a sparse image in which to keep a tiny text file, and I've noticed something rather odd. The smallest nominal size of image file that Disk Utility will allow me choose is 10MB. The 5MB and 2.5MB options are greyed out. I went ahead and made the thing, and the resultant .sparseimage archive is listed as taking up 6.4MB. All my older ones (created under Leopard) are a mere 2.1MB.

What gives? Is this something I just have to live with now, or am I doing something wrong?

ADDED LATER:

Aha! I think I've found the answer. I was choosing Mac OSX Extended for the file system. If I choose MS-DOS (FAT) instead, I can go all the way down to 2.5MB :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.