Should I sell my iPad for a Macbook Air?

Reaction score
I bought a new iPad a few months ago. While it is an awesome device, I feel limited to what I can do with it. I don't really do much on it other than browse the web, or play an occasional game. I find it to be clumsy and awkward to use since theres no built in keyboard and trying to view it comfortably is always a challenge unless you get a lap stand or something. I miss not having a trackpad or cursor while I'm using it too. I don't know, sometimes it nice, then other times it's limited. I've been thinking about getting a refurb Macbook air. Anyone else been in the same situation at some point? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There have been several good articles written in MacWorld and MacLife magazines comparing using an iPad to that of a MacBook Pro or Air. The authors stated that while the iPad is a great device, it does not replace a real computer. And they were able to do many things on their iPads that I thought not possible.

I also have a new 3rd Generation iPad 4G that I use as backup when I'm away from a net connection or WiFi. If you're dissatisfied with your iPad, then sell it and buy a MBA or MBP.

C

chas_m

It sounds to me like the following two things are true:

1. You'd be happier with a MacBook air or something similar.
2. You haven't really explored options on the iPad beyond the most basic ones.

As chscag said, the iPad can do a LOT (particularly with the addition of a bluetooth keyboard) that many people don't expect at first. But it's still not (and never was) intended as a replacement for a notebook, it's intended as a replacement for certain *activities* people tended to buy notebooks or desktops to do.

I have a LOT more fun viewing videos, editing photos, reading books, answering email and drawing on my iPad than I do on my MacBook Pro. Of course, I have more "fun" editing audio, doing my daily writing and other "sit at a desk" type duties on my MacBook over my iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.