Changing Macbook Pro HDD to SSD?

Reaction score
i had been thinking a long time and finding lots of answers to this question.
im currently using macbook pro, 500GB HDD, that stores 250GB on mac partition and 250GB on the windows 7 partition.
So if i change to a SSD 128GB, i will be using the data transfer kit to transfer everything in my HDD to SSD. but what about my Partition size?
what will it happen and, will my windows 7 partition will be gone or anything?
i need help from the pros..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't transfer the two 250GB partitions from a 500 GB drive to a 128 GB drive without data loss. You'll have to reinstall OS X and Windows.

OP
V
Reaction score
You can't transfer the two 250GB partitions from a 500 GB drive to a 128 GB drive without data loss. You'll have to reinstall OS X and Windows.

Which means i have to purchase a new license for the window 7 for mac again?
So i got to purchase a new license every time i change a SSD? :(
Thats a lot of money..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's no need to purchase a new license for Windows 7. Re-install it on the new drive. If it refuses to activate, call the MS 800 service number and they'll activate it for you over the phone. (they'll give you a new activation code)

I really don't understand why you would want to replace a 500 GB drive with one that's only 128 GB? I realize that large SSD drives are expensive but nowadays a 256 GB SSD is reasonably priced.

OP
V
Reaction score
There's no need to purchase a new license for Windows 7. Re-install it on the new drive. If it refuses to activate, call the MS 800 service number and they'll activate it for you over the phone. (they'll give you a new activation code)

I really don't understand why you would want to replace a 500 GB drive with one that's only 128 GB? I realize that large SSD drives are expensive but nowadays a 256 GB SSD is reasonably priced.

ohh okay thanks i will try it out..
im thinking of getting ssd and remain my hdd in my macbook optical drive.
i just want the speed of ssd and my files like music and picture will be stored in the hdd. i know its abit silly but, im on a budget :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.