Out of Hard drive space

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Ok, so iMac with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on it. Have 250 gig hard drive space that is used up my music and pictures. Yes, my wife takes lots of pictures and video with her iphone. I bought an external hard drive to and moved over the 70 gig's of music we have. But when in the finder window and click on my main hard drive to get more info it still says 'Capacity 249.72 gig / Available 248.96 MB'

Anyone have any ideas why it wont change? I need to free up some space! Thanks
Ryan

C

chas_m

Have you emptied the trash?

Are you moving files, or just copying them (the latter being the default action on the Mac when transferring files from one drive to another)?

With only 250MB of space left, I am quite frankly surprised that the system is even booting up.

OP
R
Reaction score
I think I moved them because I moved the entire folder. I went back into that drive and did not see any of my music files.

And as far as the available space its 750 MB. Sorry misquoted.

Any ideas on how I can confirm that the space is available?

I also hooked up a large external this morning to do a complete time capsule of my machine.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok think I figured it out. The 70 gigs of music was still in my trash. So it was not actually deleted yet. Some space has been freed up!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.