iPhoto deletes from camera

Reaction score
Hi, have an issue where iPhoto deletes the images from the camera or disk even when the "keep photos on camera" is checked. Any clues?
Luckily it does transfer the files OK to iPhoto.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using software that came with your camera to upload the photos to your Mac? There are no options as far as I'm aware in iPhoto that would erase the photos from your camera. If they're being erased after uploading, it's probably your camera software that's doing it.

OP
Reaction score
Thanks Chscag,
Seems like a temporary aberration....or my Digital error
Photos are loaded via iPhoto. Only 3rd party photo software I have is the Nikon capture and I checked all preferences that it is not enabled to autostart and "delete after import" is not checked.
I ran several tests last week with 3 different cameras [iphone, Nikon D5000 & Pentax] and it was deleting originals even when the "Keep originals" was selected. This week it seems to be working fine, only changes I have made is an auto software update and disabled extensions on Safari. Hope it stays like this. Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
There are no options as far as I'm aware in iPhoto that would erase the photos from your camera.
That must have changed then, because I get the option to delete camera pictures after I've imported to iPhoto.
iPhoto9 and Snow Leopard.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm using iPhoto 11, but it's possible I missed that option or I don't remember seeing it. Anyway, iPhoto would not remove the photos from the camera unless you allowed it to.

Edit: I just scanned through the iPhoto 11 help and tutorial about importing photos from a camera, and it appears the option for removing the photos from the camera is no longer available.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Running iPhoto 11 here. Took a few new pics with my iPhone and plugged it in. Imported in iPhoto 11 and after the import it gave me the option to either keep on my camera or delete.

Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 12.15.47 AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.