Magsafe Adapter : Utterly poor quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using Macbook Pro 13inch since last year. My first Magsafe adapter stopped working a month ago. It would not charge. I took my Mac to Apple Service center and they told me change the Magsafe adapter. I spent SGD $128 to buy a new Magsafe Adapter. Since the last 2 days even this adapter is giving problems. It would charge consistently.

Why does Apple make such rubbish and expensive products?

I switched from PC to Mac, out of frustration, but now I think I made a blunder. My experience with Macbook Pro has been nothing but frustrating.

I going to return this Macbook along with the crappy adapter at Apple's Singapore office and take a vow never to buy any Apple product is my life.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
After one year you are going to return it? Will they take it back after 1 year?

Only MagSafe issue I ever had was when a pet literally peed on the magsafe end while it was powered on and it shorted out the IC that is in the end. Not Apples fault. Pet got chased around the house with squirt bottle! :D hahahahhahha Scared 8 of it's 9 lives away! :D Got one from Amazon (Genuine APple) for $25. Works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Oh wow that's good you can get them cheap on amazon. You can probably get them cheap on ebay too. The only problem I have with my magsafe adapter for my 13 inch macbook pro is it scratches really easy on the plastic.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Got one from Amazon (Genuine APple) for $25. Works great.

I got a used genuine Apple Magsafe adapter off e-Bay for about $25 for the wife. She likes to have more than one...so she can move from room to room without having to plug/unplug the adapter from the wall.

It works great...have had it for probably 1-2 years...no problems!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I've had zero problems with my magsafe power supply and I really like the fact that it will beak away when someone kicks it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've had zero problems with my magsafe power supply and I really like the fact that it will beak away when someone kicks it.

yup. though it will scratch up the side of the macbook pro where you connect the magnet to.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
yup. though it will scratch up the side of the macbook pro where you connect the magnet to.

Not if you're the least bit careful about it.

To go back to the OP's point - I've now owned 6 MagSafe adapters and only had one fail (this one was plugged in 24/7/365 for 3 years). In my experience, that equates well with other adapters I've used in terms of lifespan.

Handling, the source of power and temperatures can also have an effect on the lifespan of the adapter. But if you're certain that it was a manufacturer's defect, then I would call Apple directly and see if they'll issue you a warranty replacement. If it's been within a year since purchase, I'm sure they'd swap it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not if you're the least bit careful about it.

To go back to the OP's point - I've now owned 6 MagSafe adapters and only had one fail (this one was plugged in 24/7/365 for 3 years). In my experience, that equates well with other adapters I've used in terms of lifespan.

Handling, the source of power and temperatures can also have an effect on the lifespan of the adapter. But if you're certain that it was a manufacturer's defect, then I would call Apple directly and see if they'll issue you a warranty replacement. If it's been within a year since purchase, I'm sure they'd swap it out.

haha ohhh trust me I care for my macbook pro. i over protect my mac i'm not going to get into detail :)

OP
B
Reaction score
MagSafe adapter and trouble go hand in hand

Well 'dtravis7' I will return the MacBook with the Magsafe adapter, that's it. I won't claim anything in return, but i will take a video of my surrendering the Macbook because of the god fosaken Magsafe adapter and upload it to YouTube.

Response to other folks who replied to the post. First of all thanks for responding to the post.

I have no intention to purshase used Magsafe adapter from Amazon or Ebay. Used stuff works for some and does not work for many, that's where problem lies.

In my opinion, the MagSafe adapter is a weak-link.

Why doesn't Apple come up with an adapter that is rugged and that lasts longer? May be Apple does not care about the travails of its customers, who are wasting a **** lot of time and building up frustration becuase of the adapter related problems.

I bought a Sony Viao laptop 4 years ago for my parents. Man the laptop and the adapter are working well without any jerks.

Anyways thanks for sharing your experience.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Way back in the iBook days people said the Adapter for the iBook (which looks very similar and is constructed the same as the MagSafe minus the Magnetic connector) always died. I have had mine for 7 years now it's it's as good as new. Used it all over the place.

OP
B
Reaction score
I got a an Acer Desktop with an mini processor for the last 5 years. The CPU uses an adapter to connect to the power source. Even the Acer adapter works better than the Magsafe adapter.

A general expectation is that the adpaters should be rugged and reliable, at least that has been my experience with PC (Windows based Desktop or Laptop) adapters.

Now if Apple wants to secure a recurring earning (given its quality and cost) though making sub-standard Magsafe adapters then it is a different story.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 2 HP notebooks and the plug on the back of the one plus the adapter died 2x now. The other HP adapter runs so HOT i can cook Eggs on it (Literly)! Waiting for it to explode! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 2 HP notebooks and the plug on the back of the one plus the adapter died 2x now. The other HP adapter runs so HOT i can cook Eggs on it (Literly)! Waiting for it to explode! :D
sadly mac's have this problem too. not only with the adapter(sometimes) but with the computer! :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
besides spills, only time I have seen that happen is with
metal shavings in the Magsafe plug/jack. Magnets attract metal. I always check mine and keep it clean.

I have never had a Mac power adapter run that hot that I can not touch it.

OP
B
Reaction score
sadly mac's have this problem too. not only with the adapter(sometimes) but with the computer! :(

Yes, my Mac is also behaving awkward after installing 'Lion OS'.

I think 'Lion OS' is the lost brother of Windows Vista. I bought Mac after devastating experience with Vista but OSX Lion is no better than Windows Vista.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only issues I ever had with Vista (to be fair) were caused by older hardware without enough RAM. Vista was very bloated and RAM hungry. Give it enough RAM and it's fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, my Mac is also behaving awkward after installing 'Lion OS'.

I think 'Lion OS' is the lost brother of Windows Vista. I bought Mac after devastating experience with Vista but OSX Lion is no better than Windows Vista.

omg OS X in my opinion is better than all Windows Distros! But ESPECIALLY Vista! And also heat problems don't only happen with Lion. I had heat issues with my macbook pro running Leopard until I replaced my faulty fan and now the heat is a lot less but definitely still hot sometimes. It has just been a problem with Apple computers for a while.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was talking overheating power adapters, not computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.