Macbook Pro won't boot up

Reaction score
I can't get my mbp on lion 10.7.4 to boot up.

I went into Disk Utility from the startup sequence and erased and journaled my startup disk. And then by pressing Comand+R the screen goes into a spinning globe instead of allowing me to bootup from my timemachine backups.And i've tried to boot from an os x disc but a screen with a big X appears saying 'Installing' but after a coiple of minutes an error appears saying something like 'The installation could not be completed. Try reinstalling again'.

Can anyone help me?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine backups are not bootable. You need to reinstall Lion before you can use your Time Machine backup to restore from. And, if you're using an OS X disk to boot with and your machine came preinstalled with Lion, it's not going to work.

Reinstall Lion first (download from the App store), and then restore from your Time Machine backup.

OP
okizen
Reaction score
Time Machine backups are not bootable. You need to reinstall Lion before you can use your Time Machine backup to restore from. And, if you're using an OS X disk to boot with and your machine came preinstalled with Lion, it's not going to work.

Reinstall Lion first (download from the App store), and then restore from your Time Machine backup.

Hi,

Sorry I meant I can't get past the startup screen and am unable to get to the screen with menu choices, (timemachine, get lion from internet, disk utility etc). Is there anyway I could use a lion disk because I think my machine came preinstalled with Lion? .Would I be able to install with a disc from the startup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
Hi,

Sorry I meant I can't get past the startup screen and am unable to get to the screen with menu choices, (timemachine, get lion from internet, disk utility etc). Is there anyway I could use a lion disk because I think my machine came preinstalled with Lion? .Would I be able to install with a disc from the startup?

If you're machine comes with Lion preinstalled you did not get a Lion disk , as there is no Lion disk .
But you do have a recovery disk .
To use the recovery mode start the Mac while you press the option key .
Than you can reinstall Lion over the internet .
That may take a long time .
Or just buy Lion from the app store .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.