Mac server to replace Windows server

Reaction score
Hi all,

So this is a big company with about 150 employees using PC's (win xp and 7), considering replacing the current Windows server with a Mac server.

Is it possible to give users profiles once they log in like Windows server does? So when the user logs in they get to their own personal stuff? Can Mac server do that?

Can the user also get to the default printer and send prints to it regardless where they log in from inside the company?

And can the home directory to each user NOT be copied anywhere on the local machine where they log in? Meaning that after they log out there will be no traces to their files on that local PC..

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
To be honest, if its a PC network, why are you considering using a Mac server?

OSX server is great, and does come with open directory services rather than active directory, but it is better suited to a mixed network rather than a PC only one.

It can do all that stuff but you'll have to invest time and resources converting a windows server set-up to a mac server, as long as you are comfortable with server set-ups and invest the time, it should meet your needs.

But it is not a simple money saving exercise, you'll save money on licensing but have to put in time on the conversion

and if you rely on exchange server, then I would stick to a windows only set-up

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can't answer all of your questions, perhaps one of our networking experts that post here can help. But I do have to ask.... why would your company consider replacing a Windows server with a Mac server when it appears all the users will be on PCs running Windows XP and 7? Is your company converting to all Macs or a mixed environment of Macs and PCs?

Reaction score
I agree with the other posts, if it is strictly Windows based environment, I would stick with a Windows Server to handle their everyday needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.