Problems with printer and file sharing

Reaction score
Hi

I have a PC running Windows XP and an iBook laptop. Each machine is connected to a router via ethernet cable. My printer is connected to the Windows PC via USB cable.

I want to be able to print documents from my iBook to my printer, and I also want to be able to share files between my 2 machines.

How do I do this? Every time I try, it does not work.

Any help much appreciated, thanks :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
check this thread

i really cant help you with the printer thing. i have never figured it out. it is compliceted though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
I went through this this weekend.

Printer, best advise I could get was a print server.

Two things that effected my ability to talk to the pc were,

1. The share folders on the pc were set to share, but marked "read only" this prevented my from moving stuff from the mac to the pc

2. Accessing the network. I had told key chain to remember the wrong password. Went to key chain and deleted the smb entry.

I can now share files, but not print. (woo hoo new router with a print server.

bone

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi, I have now set up my network but when I come to access the PC from my MAC i get the message "THE ALIAS YOURPC COULD NOT BE OPENED BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL ITEM COULD NOT BE FOUND"

what does this mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
jackhjharding said:
Hi, I have now set up my network but when I come to access the PC from my MAC i get the message "THE ALIAS YOURPC COULD NOT BE OPENED BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL ITEM COULD NOT BE FOUND"

what does this mean?

Does the pc need a password, and is the wrong password/user in keychain. I just entered the user name and password for my profile. I don't remember for sure, but I think I also did it with my mac user/pass when the pc did not have a password. When you get that message, click "Reauthenticate" (sp?) Also, make sure that you have run network wizard on the PC. (I want to know how they get those little guys into the pc)

I wish I could be of more help but when I first set up a network to share files I tried a bunch of stuff and something worked but I am not clear on what.

daryl

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.