What is the best SSD for a Macbook?

Reaction score
I've heard the Sandisk Extreme is pretty good. Anybody have great experiences with others?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I've heard the Sandisk Extreme is pretty good. Anybody have great experiences with others?
For the best go with OWC macsales.com
top category is samsung, intel, crucial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7
Crucial M4 is one of, if not the most reliable, SSD's available. Avoid SSD's that use the Sandforce controller. Some older SSD's with the Sandforce controller have had serious issues reported. I purchased an OCZ Vertex 3(Sandforce) for the OS in my gaming build and was fortunate that it came with updated firmware which is supposed to avoid the problems inherent with the older firmware. Newer SSD's use the Marvell controller and that is what you should look for in whatever you go with. Some new SSD's are using a new controller (I forget the name) but I cannot recommend what to me is unproven tech for an OS drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
"I won't tell us how?"

It's not a matter of "I" it's a matter of there are several articles on different techniques, but I haven't tested to see how well those techniques work. My current solution that I feel most comfortable with is to not release used SSD devices (this includes thumb drives, SD Cards, etc.) - With the prices of things falling, I don't really see an issue with this myself (I can always find another use for the drives). But, don't make any mistake - I didn't write that article and I have nothing to do with TechCrunch or any of the other groups that have tested SSD erasing, I am only bringing the information.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So it's not easy to erase? And you won't tell us how?? Makes me think SSD is not the way to go

I think your reaction is a bit extreme. If you don't intend to sell the drive to someone else, then you haven't much to worry about. I can guarantee you that I'd find lots of simple ways to render the drive useless if I needed to dispose of it - most of which involve a hammer - and I'm quite certain nothing would be extracted from it.

But if you're buying it to use it yourself, then be aware that you can erase it to your heart's content - what the article is concerned with is forensic retrieval of data that was thought to have been removed. So yeah, if you're expecting a government agency to kick in your door at any moment and do analysis on your computers, then it may be a concern - but frankly, it would be of concern on a normal HDD too.

It takes time and deliberate focus to securely erase data in a way that keeps it from being forensically extracted - and that's true of any storage medium.

Reaction score
I think your reaction is a bit extreme. If you don't intend to sell the drive to someone else, then you haven't much to worry about. I can guarantee you that I'd find lots of simple ways to render the drive useless if I needed to dispose of it - most of which involve a hammer - and I'm quite certain nothing would be extracted from it.

But if you're buying it to use it yourself, then be aware that you can erase it to your heart's content - what the article is concerned with is forensic retrieval of data that was thought to have been removed. So yeah, if you're expecting a government agency to kick in your door at any moment and do analysis on your computers, then it may be a concern - but frankly, it would be of concern on a normal HDD too.

It takes time and deliberate focus to securely erase data in a way that keeps it from being forensically extracted - and that's true of any storage medium.

Here's my concern..

People who purchased the retina or other computer with SSD. Plan to keep for few years, then sell and get the best next thing. I think they would be worried the person they sold it could find their personal info on the SSD

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Here's my concern..

People who purchased the retina or other computer with SSD. Plan to keep for few years, then sell and get the best next thing. I think they would be worried the person they sold it could find their personal info on the SSD

That's a good point - and one I hadn't thought of. That's yet another reason why proprietary, and permanently affixed storage solutions in computers could be a very bad thing indeed.

I think I'll be sticking with notebook models where I can easily interchange the storage device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.