Mac Mini server - Mountain Lion question (and Lion server question)

Reaction score
I have a Mac Mini server, and I was wondering if there was a way to essentially run it just as a normal Mac Mini (I don't really use any of the server functions)

Also, when Mountain Lion is released, will there be a special "server" version? Or can I just run the regular Mountain Lion? I really don't know too much about the server, so I would like for it to just be used as a "normal" Mac.

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

So would it be a reasonable thing to do to install OS X Lion onto my Mac Mini Server? versus the Lion Server?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you just want regular lion and don't need the server, then go ahead

OP
A
Reaction score
So when I try to download OS X Lion for $29.99, it tells me that since I am running OS X Server, that I must purchase both OS X Lion Server AND OS X Lion, for a total of $79.99.

What?

OP
A
Reaction score
Anybody have any ideas? I was under the impression that I was already running Lion Server, so I don't know why I would need to purchase that again for $49.99. :Not-Amused:

C

chas_m

It's assuming you are wanting to run (normal) Lion as a virtual "guest" OS, which requires both licenses.

My suggestion would be to call Apple and explain the situation and let them guide you. You could of course just ERASE the hard drive and then install Lion, but you'd need a bootable device such as the Lion USB key which costs -- $70.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you got another mac you can download Lion from?

OP
A
Reaction score
Alright, so I talked with Apple.

So apparently they don't really handle any Mac Mini Server stuff... they contract it out to Enterprise (who??). So I talked to a guy from Enterprise, and he told me that Mac Mini Server doesn't "support" running OS X Lion or OS X Lion Server (because I am running OS X Server).... but that it "might work." And he assumes I would still have to pay the $79.98 to purchase both OS X Lion Server AND OS X Lion.

He also had no idea about the update, didn't even know what OS X Mountain Lion was, and had no idea how it would relate to my Mac Mini.

I'm pretty frustrated because when I bought the computer a few weeks ago they made it very clear that I would be able to get the free Mountain Lion update when it comes out next month, and now it is looking like I won't even be able to get Lion, much less Mountain Lion at all.

Any body have any advice for my next step?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
On a side note, why did you buy a Mac Mini Server if you don't need to use the server functionality?

The right way to install normal OS X Lion would be to wipe the hard drive and install from a bootable USB, or install Snow Leopard and upgrade to Lion in the App Store.

You see the thing is, I'm not sure Apple expects people to buy a server OS and have a need to downgrade to the regular version :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
One more thing, are there any disadvantages to using Lion Server to standard Lion? Any drawbacks, something you can't install? I always thought it's just Lion with additional server features ...

OP
A
Reaction score
Well the thing is apparently I'm not running Lion Server... I'm running 'OS X Server'

That's basically where my issue comes from

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.