Updating OS X questions

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm just about to update my OS X from OS X Snow Leopard to OS X Lion (as I imagine that I need Lion for the upgrade to Mountain Lion that comes out next month).

I currently have a Bootcamp on my machine, with Windows 7 installed on it, when I update the OS X, will this delete my Widows Partition at all?

Also, will the OS X update delete my files on my Mac Hard Drive? I'm quite new to the Mac world, so I'm not quite sure how it all works, so any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
No, I'll not reformat your drive

For Mountain Lion, I believe the requirements are Snow leopard or up, so you don't have to update if you don't want to yet

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello.

I'm just about to update my OS X from OS X Snow Leopard to OS X Lion (as I imagine that I need Lion for the upgrade to Mountain Lion that comes out next month).
Not really. You can go directly from Snow Leopard to Mtn Lion per Apple's Keynote address
I currently have a Bootcamp on my machine, with Windows 7 installed on it, when I update the OS X, will this delete my Widows Partition at all?
No, assuming you install the new OS without erasing (reformatting your HD).
Also, will the OS X update delete my files on my Mac Hard Drive?
No, again assuming you don't reformat.

Regardless, you should always have a backup before doing an OS install.

EDIT: Beaten again! Need to type faster. ;)

OP
I
Reaction score
Hey louishen, thanks for the quick reply.

Oh is that so? I've been trying to find the requirements online, but couldn't find any that mentioned what OS X it would be updating from. Have you got any links that I could read up about it?

I don't know once the Mountain Lion is out, will Lion be off the market? As I don't want to miss my chance to upgrade if the requirements are from Lion up you see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
OP
I
Reaction score
Hello - fantastic, thank you all for the great information, I really appreciate it. I'll wait until Mountain Lion comes out, and update it then.

Thanks for confirming the update requirements Razormac, I keep everything on my Time Machine, so hopefully everything will go smoothly. I was just worried about the Windows side of the partition being wiped more than anything. I'll be sure to backup before I Update.

Thanks for the links pendelwitch, I've just been checking the requirements for OS X Lion, and my iMac is well within it's limits, so I'm happy about that (my machine isn't that old).

Would iPhoto and all the iLife '11 not be updated as part of the OS X Mountain Lion - or are they a separate update?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Would iPhoto and all the iLife '11 not be updated as part of the OS X Mountain Lion - or are they a separate update?

Hi, the iLife apps are unfortunately separate purchase from the Mac App Store. I think iPhoto11 cost me £9.99 from memory, they get regular free updates as normal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.