Grey Screen at Startup MBP 2009

Reaction score
I've posted this on discussions.apple, but no replies yet ...

Hi folks,

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro 13" which has started to cause me some problems when booting. Now, normally I leave it on - just putting it to sleep by closing the lid when not in use. A month or so ago, I had cause to restart it and then the booting problems became apparent.

At this stage the MBP was configured as follows:
13" MBP 2009
8GB Cruicial 100% compatible RAM
500GB Seagate Momentus HDD
Snow Leopard

The MBP begun the bootup sequence, but would typically stop at the Apple logo and spinning asterisk.
I could start it in Safe Mode and Target Mode.

I used the Install disk to do a permissions repair and a disk check, both which concluded ok.

The problem remained.

I used Apple diagnostics (from my Snow Leopard disk) which claimed all harware was fine.

I replaced the HDD with an OCZ Petrol 128GB SSD, and tried to perform a re-install. No go.

I took it in to a Mac repair shop that I've used countless times before and who normally get the diagnostics and fix right first time (big up to Mac Centre Manchester). They did some tests, then installed Lion as a brand new install, wiping the drive on the way. The laptop finally started to play again and has worked for a week or so.

Fast forward to now.

My GF had been using the laptop, and she called me last night saying it had stopped working. So I've gotten it back and have been looking at it this morning.

From cold the laptop started up seemingly fine. I restarted it intending to run some diagnostics, but from then on in, it just gave me the Grey Screen.

Startup process: As the MBP starts up you hear the chime, then a grey screen comes up then nothing further.

I've followed the advice set out here: Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup

I've reset the PRAM, and have tried to start in Safe Mode, Target Mode, Recovery Mode all to no avail.

I've put the original Apple memory back in, so it now has 4GB.

The mainboard seems hot, but the fan is rotating from stuartup, so don't know if that's good or bad.

I propose to leave it to cool right down and see if it will start up again.

Anyone any ideas how to progress this?

Thanks in advance.
MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.