To the Core

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I was just curious. Does the apple company actually create EVERYTHING in the iMac? Such as the cores, and vice-versa? Sorry for bothering you, though. I want to know this, just because I LOVE the way Steve makes his awesome products:D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello everybody, I was just curious. Does the apple company actually create EVERYTHING in the iMac? Such as the cores, and vice-versa? Sorry for bothering you, though. I want to know this, just because I LOVE the way Steve makes his awesome products:D

If by "cores" you mean the cpu...no, Apple does not make this...Intel makes the cpu's.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
In short, Apple designs very few custom parts, designs their boxes, writes some software and outsources manufacturing.

Apple _makes_ no hardware, it is all outsourced to third party companies. That goes for the individual parts inside each of their computers too. They do design _some_ low level parts along with their Macs, iOS devices and other miscellaneous hardware, all of which get manufactured by other companies.

Apple also writes their own operating systems and applications they release. I'm not sure it is complete yet, but Apple is moving to an online distribution model. When they distribute software on disc, they have third parties produce that physical medium.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.