Do Not Resume Last File

Reaction score
Earth, the planet next to Mars and near the Moon
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Santa Rosa) 250GB HD, 4GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, 8x SuperDrive
Greetings earthlings.

I need some help here with my OSX Lion.

For some reason every application I use (Preview, Word, TextEdit, Excel, etc.. etc....)

Opens up the previous document I had open along with it.

I almost crapped my pants when I was getting ready for a class presentation when I opened up a PDF in preview, and a copy of the playboy magazine i was reading 3 days ago opened up also!

How can I stop this from happening??

P.s. I always quit the application (CMD+Q). and not close out each file singular with CMD+W

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can hold shift when open an app for a temporary solution
OR
Go to System Preferences - General - uncheck "Restore windows when quitting and reopening apps"

Reaction score
Thanks for the fix, but, if you don't mind, could you make the solution a little more difficult? I feel like an idiot for not figuring it out for myself! So simple - (and I have been using Macs since the IIe. Oh well.

Reaction score
That BS just started with Lion and just one of the reasons I went back to Snow Leopard. I don't think I like where Apple is going with the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That BS just started with Lion and just one of the reasons I went back to Snow Leopard. I don't think I like where Apple is going with the OS.

Well it's not going away, so you can either adapt (most of the things people don't like about Lion can actually be fixed or worked around anyway), stay on Snow Leopard for an eternity (and shut yourself off as the market advances), or switch to Windows/Linux (both of which have upsides/downsides AND a learning curve). Your choice, though I should add that there's nothing "wrong" with any of the choices so long you can accept the consequences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.