• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Fury at Apple's 'rip-off' plan to make ALL iPhone accessories obsolete by changing de

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Good old Daily Mail . . . . surprised they didn't suggest it caused some terrible, life threatening disease too! Did anyone say 'link bait'?

But there's so much entertainment to be had from the article. Not least that it's all about a unreleased product, those manufacturer hasn't even released details of it's existence :)

I especially like the Planned Obsolescence panel:
"TV makers also warn that even the latest TVs have a limited lifespan, with on average around 100,000 hours of use before they must be replaced."
That's terrible - only making a TV that can be used 24/7, 365 days a year for 11 years - outrageous!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Ha Ha....the DM do promote a very anti-Apple bias when they aren't populating their side-bar of shame with the Kardassians. Still... FWIW this is how rumours start I suppose.

Reaction score
Actually if they do change the dock connector I already own my last iWhatever.

I also don't think 24/7 for 11 years is long enough for a TV to live either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Phone charging docks are soon going to be changing for everyone, not just Apple.
The people who complain about this need a chill pill.
As for those who spend $500+ on an accessory...it's an accessory for THAT specific item, not for everything to come in the future from that company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Ahhh an opportunity for the aftermarket to make an adapter ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Merged similar threads.

Reaction score
Hmm. I have four white 30-pin cables. Will Apple take them back with the iPods they came with, now that they're going to be obsolete (with probably the next iPod touch as well)? I sure hope so.

Reaction score
Last I checked, my current iPod and iPhone won't suddenly stop fitting in their docks when these new connectors debut on new devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
I cancelled a trip to Europe because I found out I needed an adapter for my electric razor...the nerve...;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I don't get the bellyaching. The dock connector, as it is now, is more or less the same since introduction. They've changed up a few things, like which pins do the syncing, but it's essentially 11 year-old tech. If they can roll out a new connector that is improved, even if does little more than save valuable internal space, then why not? If a change adds some improved functionality, or a new way of connecting in the manner of the Magsafe connector, then why not move on? Why should Apple's devices be held back over a select group of people who don't understand what progress is all about? If some people want to stay on legacy hardware, then do so. The rest of the world should be able to move on if we want.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If it adds Thunderbolt syncing, sign me up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I blame George W. Bush since it's an election year, and all...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If it adds Thunderbolt syncing, sign me up.

Don't much care about the syncing part. I do it all wirelessly now… since iOS 5 added support for it. Really all I need it for is charging. Thunderbolt would fit the bill though, not just in that regard but for some other technical limitations to USB (compatibility with protected streams using HDCP for one). I'm reading a LOT of bleating elsewhere on how Apple should "simply" switch to micro USB "like everyone else". I disagree with those sentiments. It may be convenient for attaching a cable to charge, but I like to dock my iPhone in a speaker dock, and the connector as it is now is fairly easy to drop into, especially when I'm crawling into bed at night. I rather doubt something as small as micro USB would be so simple, nor would it provide as stable a base. I'm fairly confident Apple isn't blind to this either.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't much care about the syncing part. I do it all wirelessly now… since iOS 5 added support for it. Really all I need it for is charging. Thunderbolt would fit the bill though, not just in that regard but for some other technical limitations to USB (compatibility with protected streams using HDCP for one). I'm reading a LOT of bleating elsewhere on how Apple should "simply" switch to micro USB "like everyone else". I disagree with those sentiments. It may be convenient for attaching a cable to charge, but I like to dock my iPhone in a speaker dock, and the connector as it is now is fairly easy to drop into, especially when I'm crawling into bed at night. I rather doubt something as small as micro USB would be so simple, nor would it provide as stable a base. I'm fairly confident Apple isn't blind to this either.

All good points. It would be nice to have a high-bandwidth connection for syncing, although I kind of doubt Apple will go in that direction since Thunderbolt hasn't gained a lot of acceptance outside of Apple products (and a handful of enthusiast motherboards).

Either way, 10 years is a pretty good lifespan for a connector form factor - it has to change at some point, especially with the devices getting so much smaller and thinner. As long as they have some kind of adapter so that my iHome clock radio isn't made obsolete just a year into owning it, I'm fine with it.

Reaction score
Phone charging docks are soon going to be changing for everyone, not just Apple.
The people who complain about this need a chill pill.
As for those who spend $500+ on an accessory...it's an accessory for THAT specific item, not for everything to come in the future from that company.

My question is why would they change it though... It really doesn't make sense

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.