• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Fury at Apple's 'rip-off' plan to make ALL iPhone accessories obsolete by changing de

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
This right here makes me wonder why Apple doesn't just switch their iDevices over to micro USB by default. If there's a fully functioning adapter, that means there's nothing preventing Apple from using micro USB over the 30-pin connector from a technical standpoint.

Assuming you only ever connect to computers with that USB, yes. With a USB connection you're only using pins 25 and 27 for data, and pins 16 and 23 for power. You would not have the current ability to pass audio directly to say, a car head unit, along with track information and controls.. it'd rely on additional processor interpretation. Right now those types of things are handled on via the connector directly (including identifying what the device is attached to, so behaviors change).

So, in short, there's a whole lot going on on that connector that you'd not notice.. until it was gone. If Apple DID go to a mini-usb, there'd be no adapters. Your existing accessories would be done btw.

That said, taking a brief look at pinout diagrams.. I count 11 that can be easily.. oh wait.. 30 - 11.... 19 UNPOSSIBLE! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Assuming you only ever connect to computers with that USB, yes. With a USB connection you're only using pins 25 and 27 for data, and pins 16 and 23 for power. You would not have the current ability to pass audio directly to say, a car head unit, along with track information and controls.. it'd rely on additional processor interpretation. Right now those types of things are handled on via the connector directly (including identifying what the device is attached to, so behaviors change).

So, in short, there's a whole lot going on on that connector that you'd not notice.. until it was gone. If Apple DID go to a mini-usb, there'd be no adapters. Your existing accessories would be done btw.

That said, taking a brief look at pinout diagrams.. I count 11 that can be easily.. oh wait.. 30 - 11.... 19 UNPOSSIBLE! :D

The existence of these exact same accessories (sans built-in car docks) for Android devices would seem to point to your explanation or understanding being incomplete. Just because Apple uses 19 pins doesn't mean it needs to use that many.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stupid iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The existence of these exact same accessories (sans built-in car docks) for Android devices would seem to point to your explanation or understanding being incomplete. Just because Apple uses 19 pins doesn't mean it needs to use that many.
There are processors on those devices, the android devices simply then pass bits (unless they use pre-amped headphone output). It's up to the accessories to interpret them. In short, they are (for these purposes) computers. USB has 4 pins, two power and two data. Can it be done? Yep. Will ANY current accessory work with them? No.

At any rate, I'm done. Between the continual argument, and the horrid mobile integration, its too much of a pain to bother.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
This right here makes me wonder why Apple doesn't just switch their iDevices over to micro USB by default. If there's a fully functioning adapter, that means there's nothing preventing Apple from using micro USB over the 30-pin connector from a technical standpoint.

Because it sucks so bad? Officially the flimsiest, crappiest connector in history. i have absolutely no idea why Samsung, Sony, RIM and Nokia have decided to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
WHAAAAAT??? TEY"RE changing the connector?

I'm so screwed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Jeez. So much drama over a phone cord. I can't believe this thread is still humming along.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still furious that I have piles of scsi cables.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm still furious that I have piles of scsi cables.

So do I! Was cleaning one day and ran into at least 20 external SCSI cables and maybe 15 internal ones! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
enough to hang a burning effigy of apple in protest!

Reaction score
There is no ripoff plan. All your "old" accessories will continue to work fine with your "old" phone. Don't want to upgrade your accessories? Don't upgrade your phone!

Think about it this way - parts from last year's model car often don't work in this year's model car. Why should they? Sometimes designs and parts change. It's not realistic to expect a manufacturer to maintain backward compatibility with previous models. That's just ridiculous.

Reaction score
rMBP has no optical drive why because it has a big f'ing battery. They offer the old version for those that care very little and need an optical. The benefits are two fold, they get to see if the screens can be manufactured in the quantity necessary while maintaining quality. They needn't commit the entire line if it doesn't work out so well. The second is it signals to consumers the change if you want an Apple notebook you need to start reevaluating your need/desire for optical drives.
I bought a non-retina mid-2012 machine and the first thing I did was remove the optical drive (and replace it with a 2nd hard drive). Plus, the Mac Air machines lack an optical. So, I'm not sure how valid your example here is. I'm not sure anyone is not going to buy a MBPr because it lacks an optical, but they (like me), may avoid buying it for OTHER reasons.

Reaction score
"What does that mean?"

What does what mean? if referencing the TB part of this discussion if there is no second TB port then no daisy chain, and if there was and it was in the middle of the chain and iToy was disconnected then you lose everything behind it. It could be the final in your chain provided you have a TB display. Why not in public?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
"What does that mean?"

What does what mean? if referencing the TB part of this discussion if there is no second TB port then no daisy chain, and if there was and it was in the middle of the chain and iToy was disconnected then you lose everything behind it. It could be the final in your chain provided you have a TB display. Why not in public?

You don't seem to be making any sense to me irrespective of the merits of your logic here.

Perhaps it's a translation thing but words like ...crack...iToy, barely disguised swear words and frequent use of quotation marks around random comments aren't really helping your rep.

I said before that this is a lighthearted thread so is there any chance you could just back off and let us have a general josh about the issue please rather than a fist fight ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
:eek: Ohhhhh

I cant believe people are still bleeding over this. Will not be surprised if this thread doesnt go on much further . . . . Let it go !!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe I'd like to rant about the 12 or so component cables I have that are all.... USELESS.

And the static bag of edo ram. Useless!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
"What does that mean?"

Again, and for the last time, when you plug in your favorite "iToy", it's not permanently affixed to your hot swappable Thunderbolt port, nor is any other peripheral. So, in the odd event that you didn't have a second port on a given peripheral, the worst case scenario is that you'd have to unplug it for a few seconds (yes, seconds, since syncing even a high-capacity iDevice wouldn't take terribly long using Thunderbolt).

The arguments you've espoused in just about every one of these rants is probably what is netting you these comments in the reputation system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.