MacBook Pro battery not recognised after HD replacement

Reaction score
Hi there,

Here is the background info; I have a MacBook Pro (5,5) mid-2009 and I recently replaced the hard drive with a 750GB Seagate Momentus XT. I backed up my existing hard drive by booting using my install DVD and using Disk Utility to back up my the contents of my hard drive as a DMG file onto an external USB hard drive. I then replaced the hard drive with my new Momentus XT drive (disconnecting and reconnecting the battery from the logic board in the process) restored from my DMG back up to my new HD.

The problem is that now the battery isn't detected whatsoever, but the laptop functions perfectly when plugged in. Here are the actions I have taken already:
- Resetting the PRAM (no result)
- Resetting the SMC (no result)
- Swapping my old hard drive back in, with it's original contents (no result)

I thought I had somehow broken the battery (or the battery's connection to the logic board.) However, today I accidentally kicked (yea, kicked) my adapter out of the wall socket. I plugged it back in, hit the power button, and it was like my laptop had woken from sleep. So it clearly managed to use the battery to put itself to sleep. I flicked off the power again while using my laptop to make sure and this time it was like it woke from hibernation (like the the laptop runs out of battery and writes the RAM to the HD.)

I'm stumped.

If you have gotten this far, thank you for taking the time! I would like to hear what you think.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It could be coincidental that your battery has decided to give out. Download the free "coconutBattery 2.72" from here and let's see what it says about your battery.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm restoring from my original Time Machine back up incase it was a fault in the restore I did with Disk Utility, so I'll give that a go in a couple of hours. Thanks.

OP
J
Reaction score
It could be coincidental that your battery has decided to give out. Download the free "coconutBattery 2.72" from here and let's see what it says about your battery.

coconutBattery says "N/A" for everything. And the system restore didn't change anything either.

What gets me is that even though the battery is supposedly not even there the laptop will still sleep/hibernate when the power plug is pulled.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm wondering now if perhaps the connector from the battery to the logic board was somehow damaged when you disconnected the battery to swap out the hard drive? Have you inspected everything closely to see if you can spot something? If coconutBattery can not "see" your battery it may indicate that it's not connecting.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm wondering now if perhaps the connector from the battery to the logic board was somehow damaged when you disconnected the battery to swap out the hard drive? Have you inspected everything closely to see if you can spot something? If coconutBattery can not "see" your battery it may indicate that it's not connecting.

I have had a very close look at all the connections between the battery and the logic board and nothing seems out of place. Is there anyway to replace the cable between the battery and the logic board? I don't have the right screwdriver to take the battery out, but it looks like the cable is non-removable from the battery end.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know for sure if that cable can be replaced. Check the step by step take apart instructions for your machine at the ifixit site. iFixit: The free repair manual

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.