How to Hook up Two (2) Wireless Routers in one Network? Please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MD546LL/A - MacBookPro9,1
Hi, I just moved to my new apartment and I am having trouble getting two routers to work together. This is what I have:

Signal path: Modem (comcast) ---> D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Desktop Switch ---> Etherent Ports in the house

Problem: I can only connect one of these at a time:
a) Only one router to any given port (cannot connect a 2nd router or hardwire a second computer)
b) Only hardwired to my any macbook pro in the house using an ethernet cable (the router will not work if plugged in)

However, I cannot:
a) connect via router and then hardwired from a wall port (from the DLink or a wall) to a computer
b) Make the second router work

Any help would be tremendous. My routers are:
1) Lynksys E1000
2) Lynksys WRT54GL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
Typically, only one "router" should be on the network, one should be configured as an access point and not a router unless you are going to do some fancy subnetting. The router should be placed between the modem and the switch. This will provide access to the ethernet ports on the switch.

Comcast Modem > Router > gigabit switch > House ethernet ports > access point

Bill

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MD546LL/A - MacBookPro9,1
Typically, only one "router" should be on the network, one should be configured as an access point and not a router unless you are going to do some fancy subnetting. The router should be placed between the modem and the switch. This will provide access to the ethernet ports on the switch.

Comcast Modem > Router > gigabit switch > House ethernet ports > access point

Bill

Hi Bill, thank you so much for the information. I am now connected per your suggestion:
Comcast Modem > Router > gigabit switch > House ethernet ports > second modem and everything works.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
You're Welcome....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
Related question - does it degrade performance to bring several network connections from one room (two computers and one printer) through a switch and then run one cable from the switch to the router in another room? Versus running 3 separate cables from each computer and the printer to the router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is an example of a portion of my network...

Cable modem > Router (Apple Time Capsule) > Switch >Server 1
>Server 2
>iMac
>Sony Smart TV
>Printer
>Upstairs Switch >Mac Mini
>Server 3
>Apple TV
>Printer
>Scanner
>Linksys wireless router configed as an access point

I see very little degradation in network traffic with my network. All runs are Cat 6 cable and the switches are high end hp procurve gigabit switches.

Depending on how you wire the cables and how robust your switches are, your mileage may vary.

Bill

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.