Powerbooks for less ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 - OSX
Hi
I want to buy a powerbook, 15 or 17...
I want to know where to buy it to save the most money ??
New on sale, refubrished or used !!
(what i need to look before buing use ?)
If it could be near me (north of montreal, canada), it would be a plus...

Please help me
Merci. :)

Reaction score
Ebay is worth a look, you just have to be careful. I got a used 15" 1.5ghz that was in perfect condition and I paid $1300 for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
don't get the 17 unless you plan on using it almost all the time as a desktop. 15 is perfect size

Reaction score
Have you looked at the apple refurbished store, the uk version is open everyday until after xmas. Looks like about 20% off most models. Definately worth a look.
Scroll to the bottom of the apple store page and there's a big flashing sign

J

jn4jenny

MPESGT01 said:
Hi
I want to buy a powerbook, 15 or 17...
I want to know where to buy it to save the most money ??
New on sale, refubrished or used !!
(what i need to look before buing use ?)
If it could be near me (north of montreal, canada), it would be a plus...

Please help me
Merci. :)

First order of business: If you're concerned about the money factor of buying a Powerbook, it's time to think twice about buying a Powerbook. They're wonderful machines and they're a must-have if you're into graphic design or processor-intense applications, but if you're just an e-mail-checking, web-surfing type, the iBook is going to be a much better value for your money. If you need a Powerbook, get one, but if you don't need one, don't get sucked into the "Oh look at the pretty Powerbook, I'm willing to pay $600 extra for computing power that I don't need" debacle.

That said, the others are right--nothing's going to beat Ebay on the price, especially if you use sniping software (my favorite is Jbidwatcher, runs on Windows/Mac/Linux.) The best deal overall, at least in my opinion, is an Apple Refurb because they're eligible for AppleCare. But here's some other sites to help you compare:

http://www.lowendmac.com/ibook/deals.html
http://www.macprices.com/ (don't forget to check their Clearance Laptops section too)

OP
MPESGT01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 - OSX
I did check on ebay, but nothing interesting for the moment, or super-mega-deal that doesnt seems legal...

Yes, I do need a powerbook for the power, the screen size and other stuff... I am a graphic designer and photographer... cant go ibook or pc... (it would be so easier doh...)

amazon have good prices, but nothing on the canada site...
Those two last link you gave me was good one, thanks.

Any more tips anyone ??

L

lil

Do you need it urgently, if I were you, just bide your time, you may see some bargains come January when people have no money to spend and so things can go for less.

But the ballpark you are looking at price wise has been noted and is indeed realistic.

Vicky

OP
MPESGT01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 - OSX
good idea for january... i'll remember this.

Quick question : Do you think the next Powerbook generation will be out soon ? Is this gonna drop the powerbooks existing price ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
This is a Canadian site located in Toronto, but it's cheap, and where I got my PowerBook, www.cpused.com They sell new/used apple stuff including iPods. Their store location is huge, it mind as well be an apple store.

L

lil

I expect in the immediate aftermath of them being released there is the potential for them to go for slightly less; but not a hige amount as other people like you may well have thought of the very same thing!

By the way, not wishing to be nosey but what kinda figure or ballpark are we looking in money wise that you have for a PowerBook? You don't have to say but if you do, we'll be able to say -- this is what you realistically can get for that money for a good/very good condition PowerBook.

Vicky

OP
MPESGT01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 - OSX
thanks for the link, future shop is still less expensive dough...

how much I would go for it ; I would not pay for a regular price one, but I am able to pay for a new one in rebate, or refubrished (by monthly paiments).
But, if I can find a use one in good shape at a good price with the specs that I need, than i will go used !!
So that is why I want to know where are the good deals for new, refubrished and used !! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.